Replacing Windscreen

I've been meaning to replace the cracked windscreen on my 4A for a year or two now. I've had an old Arva screen up in the rafters in one of my units for as long as i can remember so with this in mind, i bought a fitting kit from The TR Shop's stand at Beaulieu this September.

Yesterday i removed the damaged screen and fitted the replacement. No problem at all. . . . Not untill i came to fit the plastic insert strip that is ! I've fitted many windscreens during my years in the garage and i know sometimes the inserts can be problematic or tricky but this one i have found impossible to even start. The channel in the rubber seal does not seem deep enough to locate the insert strip or the strip is to deep to fit the seal, one or the other.Either way i can not start a run on it. The two components don't seem compatible. Has anyone else experienced this at all ?

Is there a good rubber and insert out there that works and is recommended by anyone please ?

Many thanks.

Noel

Hi Noel,

if the windscreen rubber is the same as the Moss rubber (and it will be) it will eventually fit :wacko:

As stated - Ky/petroleum jelly on the rubber and get he trim warmed up.

I used a broad bladed screwdriver to open up the groove - insert blade and twist. get the end of the trim inserted and continue inserting and twisting.

Rubber mallet to tap the trim deeper into the rubber.

When it is fully in (three hours later :o ) do not be tempted to cut the trim to size. Leave over size ofr a month or so. And them trim leaving the max possible

It really will shrink

Roger

You need KY jelly and the trim in hot water, do not thread it use a rubber mallet and tap it in.

+1

warm it up, grease it up, then whack in carefully.

Note: other water soluble lubricants are available ie Pound shop own brand

Yes guys. Thank you for your suggestions. The problem seems to be the depth of the groove in the seal is 5mm deep and the insert strip is 7mm. No amount of effort ( and this has been considerable ) will get the strip in low enough to go under the lips. I have fitted many windscreens in my time but this one really is posing a problem. What i really wanted to know was if anyone could personally recommend a seal and insert that is known to work. I rather think the one i've bought is somehow . . er . . not quite right.

If it's the T shaped plastic trim it's meant to sit on top of the rubber seal. Unlike the old metal trim which sat within the rubber.

Edited by peejay4A
  • 1 month later...

Yes, thank you for posting this photo. That is EXACTLY my problem. The rubber seal and the insert strip are not compatible. the strip will NOT stay in place. Far too loose. Now, is it the insert or the rubber that is at fault ?

Noel

Yes, thank you for posting this photo. That is EXACTLY my problem. The rubber seal and the insert strip are not compatible. the strip will NOT stay in place. Far too loose. Now, is it the insert or the rubber that is at fault ?

Noel

Its the rubber, where did yours come from?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

My rubber and insert came as a kit from The TR Shop London. I have to say though that i've never encountered problems in the past from this dealer. But this seal and insert has cost me not only money but a lot of grief and time. It certainly is not fit for purpose.

Noel

Yes i've been told that Neil. Thank you. I was under the impression ( like Roger ) that the TR Shop rubbers were supplied by Moss ? After all the time and trouble this has caused, i need to be sure that the next attempt will be successful. i actually ordered a new insert from Moss just out of curiosity, and to see if it cured the problem. But when it arrived, i found it to be identical to the TR one. So now i'm a little reluctant to order a new rubber from Moss too. if you see what i mean.

Noel

For what it's worth I have just fitted my screen using Rimmers supplied rubber and plastic T strip which appears to be the same as Stefs pic. It was a very trying exercise to say the least but being a amateur screen fitter I expected no other, I had about a 1 metre section that continued to evict the trim strip, tried using soft soap but only made it worse, eventually after much screen slapping as seen on you tube the rubber seemed to settle and accept the T strip, really weird all of a sudden it went as it should. I put it down to the rubber not being correctly seated.

Best of luck

Paul

I was trying to remember the pain fitting ours was. In the end I think we put a bead of Tiber Seal in the groove in the rubber and held it all in with masking tape until it had all settle in.

Pictures here: http://tr4a.weebly.com/tr4a-windscreen.html

I have to say it works out well.

Good luck. Whoever actually makes the products to make this job simple deserves a knighthood:-)

Best

Paul.