Overdrive relay noise?

My 4A has just developed a fault. When at a standstill, there is a loud rapid 'clicking' noise if I depress the overdrive stalk. If I start driving the car with the overdrive in the 'off' position, all is well, and the overdrive is working fine, but when the car isn't moving, switching on the overdrive gives that loud 'brrrrr' noise. Anybody got any ideas - is it the relay?

Hi Terry,

the clicking chattering sound is the OD solenoid engaging and dropping out (there is an internal relay that switches over the two coils).

However you have TRouble because it shouldn't be happening.

You should only be able to get OD when in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear.

You need to check the column switch and the wiring to the inhibit switches.

Roger.

Terry,

you will need a decent wiring diagram http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

Start at the relay (above your left foot) and see if it switches correctly.

There should be no power to the Solenoid when in neutral/1st/ Rev.

Reverse is very important. If you engage OD and reverse you may well destroy the OD body

You may well need to remove the GB cover to check any wiring.

It could easily be an earthing problem.

If you come back with other symptoms etc make them very clear and precise.

Roger

My 4A has just developed a fault. When at a standstill, there is a loud rapid 'clicking' noise if I depress the overdrive stalk. If I start driving the car with the overdrive in the 'off' position, all is well, and the overdrive is working fine, but when the car isn't moving, switching on the overdrive gives that loud 'brrrrr' noise. Anybody got any ideas - is it the relay?

Just one question. When you say the car isn't moving, is that with it in gear with the clutch depressed or in neutral or 1st gear? If you have it in gear, it could still be switch adjustment on the gear lever remote assembly, as if I'm reading correctly you say the overdrive is working fine on the move?

Kevin