Rear Brake Problem - TR5

HI All,

Just replaced the front Calipers on the TR5 and they bled very well. However, I can get hardly any fluid through to the rear brakes.

Does this sound like rear brakes needing a going over or a master cylinder problem?

Any ideas and help welcome.

Thanks very much.

Dave.

Eee by gum, you cheeky blogger Niel. Lol.

Bled as per Pete's detail above, furthest from the master cylinder first and then move towards it.

All new steel hoses, thanks Stuart.

Car jacked up on four axle stands, level, all wheels removed, lights, cameras and a bit of action. Two cups of tea whilst contemplating if the spanner was clean enough and I polished the bonnet just to show it that it was loved.

Sleeves rolled up, best Pyrex glass jug from the kitchen, nice clear plastic bleeeeeding hose, not to be confused with 'eer indoors 'ose, or even 'O's, hoes or Jose.

Master cylinder cleaned out with cotton buds so that not even a gnat's whisker was in there. All new clear, dot three fluid.

Not had time to look for this potential hidden restrictor yet as I had to pop to Sweden for a few days. Back on the case next week.

Thank you Gents, one and all, much appreciated to have this back up just in case I missed something obvious... er... .like opening the bleed nipple. You missed that one Neil. Lol.

Cheers.

Dave.

[quote

Thank you Gents, one and all, much appreciated to have this back up just in case I missed something obvious... er... .like opening the bleed nipple. You missed that one Neil. Lol.

Cheers.

Dave.

Regarding bleed nipples you might just check they are not blocked. Might be worth taking one out and see if the fluid seeps out.

Regards

Kevin

EeziBleed does it for me when all else fails. Most of the air seems to end up coming out the Lh front which is last to bleed on Rh drive 4a.

Good point Roger, I stand corrected, sorry Pete! It is logical that it is the length of pipe run that is the important thing rather than proximity of the bleed nipple to the m/c. I had look at the brake pipe lay outs for both RHD 4A and 5 and on both the pipe run is longer to the offside front calliper. I've been doing it wrong for 46 years! However, by the same token the pipe run to the offside rear is clearly longer than to the near side so, referring to Pete's order in #8 again shouldn't the osr be bled first?

Confused of Holwell

+1 Roger, so to summarise in one post order is:

Offside Rear

Nearside Rear

Offside Front

Nearside Front

Regards Chris

Thanks Chris, this will be my order in future not that I have never had any trouble getting a good firm pedal using nsr, osr, nsf, osf. Logically "farthest" should mean in the sense of longest pipe run, not separation in space. Interestingly my factory wsm (TR4 with 8/65 4A supplement) states on page 3-204 that bleeding should start with the wheel cylinder farthest from the m/c (the N/S Rear) and end with the "wheel cylinder" (calliper) nearest the m/c (O/S Front). I did spot in an accompanying photo on the same page that the m/cs were adjacent to the wiper motor so we were dealing with a LHD car, which might make the difference. However, on looking at the two TR4A brake pipe layouts on p61 of the Moss catalogue it is clear that for both left and rhd the order longest to shortest run is OSR/NSR/OSF/NSF. I conclude therefore that the wsm is in error. (My brain hurts now).

Tim

Dear All,

Sorry for the long time in getting back to you on this brake subject, as I was out of the country twice.

That is great Chris that you summarised all the wisdom and now we all know that the obvious way to bleed the brakes is completely wrong.

Ten out of ten for Neil, I did bleed 'em in the wrong order then, it would appear, observing the obvious, which is the obverse of the reverse order. I am sure Roger will understand that!

Reminds me of the Gibson Firebird when reissued and re-named the Reverse Firebird was exactly the opposite of the one you really wanted... until you go and try one out that is, and then you find that the weight of the neck is ridiculous and whilst the guitar looks great, it is hopeless to handle... but what's that got to do with the obvious?

Well, I'm back in the country, but only for one more day, when I will be off to the Netherlands for a couple of weeks and so car business has slowed down a lot, unfortunately.

Thank you all again for the great feedback. It makes doing the brakes very exciting and educational. I'll get back on to it when I return, and by the way, does anyone know what a restrictor looks like and where am I likely to find it in the system as I can't find it in the book.

Cheers.

Dave.