oil drain plug stuck fast in gearbox....help

Trying to resurrect a gearbox from bits in the garage found a nice case but the oil drain plug is stuck fast into the side. It is difficult to get at because the bulge for the reverse gear is just close

The drain plug is nicely rounded off and I can't hold the plug to twist it

I have left it with penetrating oil round it but not progressed so far

Is it alright to get my oxy-acetylene torch out and heat it or do you try to drill it out

Somebody must have resolved this before

All useful past experience appreciated

Thanks in advance

Michael

One of these will get out just about anything (as long as you're willing to destroy it in the process.

4047df03-d8fe-4dd6-8b19-d51267810f63.jpg

It's how the drain plug on my engine oil pan has been removed at least once.

Edited by Don H.

Hi Michael,

As Don says the "good ol wrench" will get most of those sorts of plugs out, however I'm not sure you'll get it on because of the space restriction.

You could always use the "fluted" extractors which will very likely get it out, you drill a hole through the plug of a suitable size and drive the extractor through it, then slip over a supplied adaptor nut with the fluted profile for it's inside hole and you can get a socket and breaker bar on it if necessary (don't go ape, limit the torque supplied to a commensurate amount).

post-6602-0-13558100-1477231036_thumb.jpg

That's a single item buy from Amazon at about £16 or you can get complete sets from them from about £60. If you want a loan I have a set, give me a call or PM me.

Mick Richards

Drill out the Thread from a 17mm Nut and place it over the Drain Plug and give it a few taps with a Hammer now get the Mig Welder and weld both together,the Heat will break the bond and use a 17mm Socket to remove you'll now also be able to reuse it,you may also use a 19mm Nut if necessary.

Drill out the Thread from a 17mm Nut and place it over the Drain Plug and give it a few taps with a Hammer now get the Mig Welder and weld both together,the Heat will break the bond and use a 17mm Socket to remove you'll now also be able to reuse it,you may also use a 19mm Nut if necessary.

+ 1 works every time.

Success! success! thanks all

Managed to drill the blighter and then hammered a fluted bar into it (as recommended by Motorsport Mickey): with considerable worry as every blow was metal on metal through aluminium. I then fitted the matching fluted nut onto the bar and with considerable effort managed to start the plug moving

Worries : initially my drill didn't bite into the plug. Are they surface hardened? Anyway once in with a small lead drill life got easier and I got thru the plug.

A larger drill (to size with the fluted bar) went thru and then the nut:

I was very relieved when the plug started to move

My experience is that I have to do anything at least three times before I get it right and or I break what is in my hand and I have to start again.

It is always a comfort to get onto the keyboard and ask the forumites , I don't have a working mig and I was anxious about welding a nut on with gas as it would put in a lot of heat into the gearbox case

As usual

Thanks Guys

Michael

Edited by MichaelH

Good result.

Mick Richards