TR4A LHD f/sale. To good to be true!

For Sale Ad. with land line and mobile tel no. one hr drive away for me. Exellent body, Hard top & Wires..£5,500. Quick sale needed.

Too good to be true or what?

Dave

Suppose your right Ian. A phone call should tell me if it's a friends car eh! or in Belgium at the moment.

Dave

Well it's not a scam, had a look today, not as good as I was hoping but a good project. California car 1967, need's all new rubber seals, new screen. It has a none original hardtop which doesn't do it any favours so new hood and frame needed, body is reasonable but will need work. Inner wings very solid same with bonnet, would need new interior, dash,steering wheel.

It was difficult to get around the car and could not get under it, there is a couple of places on the chassis that I could see that had rot so would need further investigation although the chap said most of the chassis is good. I could only feel under the driver's side (USA) door and it possible the sill had rust. No overdrive but he has a gearbox with one (negotiable). Some holes on boot floor and floor well, passenger side.

Need thinking cap on.

Dave

Edited by nowtelse2do

Can anyone decipher these tabs please. The red one i think is a US State identification tab. I was told the car was from California but I think that number should be 32, if so what State is 66. Thanks.

Dave

post-11477-0-35067900-1477335704_thumb.jpg

post-11477-0-58124900-1477335732_thumb.jpg

Thank you Roger and Geko.

It was registered early 1967 so must have been built 1966.

Cheers Guys

Dave

Royal Blue, now that's a nice colour.

Edited by nowtelse2do

Hi Tim. Not 100% sure of 1st registration. I'm going away this weekend so can't see it again until the 5th of November. I was too busy trying to get round and under the car to check the doc's. The chap said it was early 67.

He seemed a bit of a hoarder, there were a TR6, MG, Vitesse, S1 1963 E Type roadster, early sport type Astra i think(covered up with allsorts)

a morris minor convertible, S3 Land Rover pick up 71 or 72, plus a couple i couldn't make out but will have a good look next time. A little bit of a gold mine because he had a lot of automobile paraphernalia around.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Perhaps you could let me know if you choose not to persue this car as it might be what I am looking for.....

Regards,

Mike

I certainly will Mike. I'll be taking some photos so will pm you for your email address. Meanwhile here are what I managed to get.

Dave

post-11477-0-03523300-1477418210_thumb.jpg

post-11477-0-64347500-1477418233_thumb.jpg

post-11477-0-81205000-1477418259_thumb.jpg

post-11477-0-52088800-1477418282_thumb.jpg

post-11477-0-28771500-1477418315_thumb.jpg

post-11477-0-02631700-1477418518_thumb.jpg

Can anyone decipher these tabs please. The red one i think is a US State identification tab. I was told the car was from California but I think that number should be 32, if so what State is 66. Thanks.

Dave

The red plate is the original Californian import registration plate. Only fitted to cars sold new in California. US registration rules mean that say for example a 66 car new is registered on its Pink slip (Registration document) as a 67.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart for solving the mystery of the Triumph STC-65 plate on my car. In my case the plate is green not red but was also a California car and manufactured in 1965. You will also find that the wiring loom runs down the right hand side of the car.

Keith

p.s. When I bought it mine it still had left hand drive sealed beams which dipped towards oncoming traffic (and with a MOT!).

Thanks Stuart for solving the mystery of the Triumph STC-65 plate on my car. In my case the plate is green not red but was also a California car and manufactured in 1965. You will also find that the wiring loom runs down the right hand side of the car.

Keith

p.s. When I bought it mine it still had left hand drive sealed beams which dipped towards oncoming traffic (and with a MOT!).

I think the colour changed around that time to green from the earlier red ones. The important point being its presence as being a definite indication that at least it started life in California so has some chance of being relativity rust free. Even more of a bonus is if it comes with an original pair of black and yellow number plates too.

Stuart