Hot tick over, throttle blip restores Oil pressure

Oil pressure upon starting from cold with choke is 70+ on gauge, a stable tickover when warmed up, reads 40, if no traffic stops no problem. However, after an hour of use with regular traffic stops, the temp tends to rise, though the fan cutting in restores temp to just above normal, the oil pressure reads 65+ @2000, but if traffic persists, tickover oil pressure can fall to less than 5. blipping the throttle will restore to 30. Getting back on the move will keep it above 50.

Starting up a couple of hours later, pressure is 30-40 at tickover and 70plus at 2000 revs.

I would appreciate your views on what may be need sorting?, or how much trouble might i be in?. thanks and regards, john

Hi this was discussed by various people on the forum on a string I started on the 4th August

under "oil pressure at tickover"

Don't know how to link it but I found it again on page 4

Hope this helps

MichaelH

Edited by MichaelH

Oil pressure upon starting from cold with choke is 70+ on gauge, a stable tickover when warmed up, reads 40, if no traffic stops no problem. However, after an hour of use with regular traffic stops, the temp tends to rise, though the fan cutting in restores temp to just above normal, the oil pressure reads 65+ @2000, but if traffic persists, tickover oil pressure can fall to less than 5. blipping the throttle will restore to 30. Getting back on the move will keep it above 50.

Starting up a couple of hours later, pressure is 30-40 at tickover and 70plus at 2000 revs.

I would appreciate your views on what may be need sorting?, or how much trouble might i be in?. thanks and regards, john

Has this problem just started? What oil are you using? Where are you - is it a high ambient temp that is affecting things.

My starting point would be - Sticking oil pressure release valve, if you are using a quality oil and the BE/Mains/oil pump are not worn on your engine.

Strip it, clean it, and then reset the oil pressure to 65-70 psi engine hot at 2000 rpm as per factory spec. Easy starting solution. If they look worn/rusty pitted, shiny on one side, renew the relief spring and ball.

Peter W

Thank you, for the attached reference to earlier post. I'll go with that and the suggested steps put by Peter, l feel i have a direction in which to travel, 1. Oil change, castrol classic, 2. Oil relief ball and spring, 3. Rebuild oil pump, 4. Check bearing end float?.

Not really sure how long the issue has been there for as i just dont use the car enough, living in central london, just short runs, so may never have got it as hot previously. but i suspect it may very well have been a problem for some time, i've done 11k since rebuilt engine in 2007. Was just not sure of how dangerously low oil pressure appearing when hot and stopped at lights, could be alleviated by blipping the throttle lightly, as...if bearings were worn,...then nothing would get the pressure up?. Thanks and regards, john