Replacing inner bushes on Fulcrum/Upper wishbone

Hello,

Can someone tell me if I can easily replace these bushes? I see the assembly fits in a body recess so can you actually remove the castellated nuts and remove the arms or is this a complete dismantle job? Any procedure tips appreciated ie do you put a jack under the wishbone to relieve the tension?

Thanks

Charles

Charles, my advice would be to use the correct internal spring compressor, take the whole assembly apart and inspect/replace anything that is iffy because if the top bushes are shot I would wonder what the rest are like along with ball joint and trunnion. Do both sides.

Stan

Thanks Stan but someone has previously changed the other bushes but left these upper ones, can I just replace them without taking the whole thing apart?

Maybe because they are difficult they left them.

Charles

Thanks Stan but someone has previously changed the other bushes but left these upper ones, can I just replace them without taking the whole thing apart?

Maybe because they are difficult they left them.

Charles

In principle you can put a floor jack under the spring pan and compress the spring enough to release the tension on the upper A arms. Then you can disconnect the ball joint at the front and remove the nuts from the fulcrum pin spindles at the rear so you can slide the A arms off the fulcrum pin. There should be enough room to do that. You have to have confidence in that floor jack as there is a lot of energy in the spring when it is compressed.

Personally I would spend the extra 30 mins, remove the shock and compress the spring with the proper tool.

Stan

Thanks Marcel that is a very useful YouTube and educational for me, thanks also to Stan I may well try that but if I feel it is risky would buy a spring compressor looks like a few hours happily spent on the car over the winter in my warm garage.

In principle you can put a floor jack under the spring pan and compress the spring enough to release the tension on the upper A arms. Then you can disconnect the ball joint at the front and remove the nuts from the fulcrum pin spindles at the rear so you can slide the A arms off the fulcrum pin. There should be enough room to do that. You have to have confidence in that floor jack as there is a lot of energy in the spring when it is compressed.

I do that, on the basis that the shocker will retain the spring should the jack fail.

Peter

What bushes will you use? I have a bag of NOS 102228 wishbone rubber bushes if you are staying original.

25p each plus whatever the postage is. That is half the Moss selling price and remember theirs probably come from China.

Peter W

I have now done a post office check.

Price comes out a a GBP £ 5.00 for 8 NOS rubber bushes to UK address. The

Peter W

PS Charles you have an email confirming your enquiry.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT