Angle drive for the speedo

Having driven to Germany and back with no issues the first time I drove my Tr4a afterwards the speedo wasn't working. It turns out the angle drive at the back of the gear box had fallen apart. All fixed and working thanks to Alan Turner's article in latest Tr Action - very good timing.

A previous owner had obviously needed access to the same part and instead of removing the gearbox tunnel had decided to just knock a hole through it. I thought this would be an opportune time to replace it. Have purchased a new tunnel but when it is offered up the angle drive is in the way, and not just be a couple of mm.

Have removed the drive (with gear on top end) from the back of the gearbox into which the square bar from the angle drive is inserted. This is a fixed length. It is kept in position with a brass 'tube' which does appear to have adjustment but would need a very narrow spanner.The previous owner had to put two felt washers between the angle drive and the brass tube as the square drive appears to be too long. It sticks out 22mm. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Have attached a couple of photos. Does it appear to be set up correctly?

Kevin

post-14220-0-38710400-1475257346_thumb.jpg

post-14220-0-49271300-1475257365_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin

As far as I know this is not adjustable in length. When I replaced my tunnel some years back the fit wasn't good, and the flanges did not even run in line with the floor properly.

I had a similar issue with the angle drive and had to make a hole for it. It is very tight to the casing I have since made a metal cover to place over it for access at a later date if required. I think the original hardboard version may also have had an access plate, but not certain on that.

Regards

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

I have seen longer brass drives fitted before now, I thing they may have come from a saloon. If using a plastic gearbox cover then careful application of a hot air gun will soften it up a bit to get it to fit round the angle drive.Original cardboard covers did indeed have a steel cover plate for access for both the angle drive and the overdrive solenoid. I believe only one of those plates is available separately now.

Stuart.