76 TR6 J-Type OD Removal

This has been asked before. Yes, you'll need to remove the tunnel cover and the prop shaft. I've never done it but once it's exposed it I would take out the whole thing and separate it on the bench.

I'm sorry, I search for "overdrive removal" and get no results.

I am no certain what your response says... I'm asking... can I separate and remove the overdrive unit without separating the transmission from the engine and removing it too, as in can I remove the overdrive unit only for service without disturbing the transmission. Not trying to be smart, I'm looking to benefit from experience, but your response says YES... but then suggests I remove "it" and separate it on the bench. It... the tranny and OD unit?

Sorry, let me be clearer. Yes you can remove the J type from the gearbox without separating the box from the engine and with with the whole thing in situ. The A type isn't really doable in the same way. What I went on to say is that once you've exposed it my preference would be to remove the gearbox and overdrive and separate them on the bench because it's much easier than crawling around under the car. You can also check the clutch out at the same time.

Edited by peejay4A

I have to agree with Pete but would also add that you also check/replace the lay shaft and lay gear bearings as this is a well known weakness in TR6 Gearbox's. With the lay gear removed I would send it to Overdrive Repair Services to have them do their Stag/Police 2.5PI Mod. of 3 needle rollers instead of 2, as originally done by BL and only buy the lay shaft from them. There are still soft lay shafts being sold in the market place as I have just found out! I had 55 rejected from a well known supplier!

Bruce.

I suspect from the language used he may be a bit far from Sheffield. US maybe.Any gearbox/overdrive work is always easier on the bench.

Stuart.