A Question too Far?

They do say that the only silly question is the one you don't ask,

I may be about to prove that is not the case!

So I am in the process of doing some remidial work on 3A bulkhead and top deck. At the moment it has absolutely nothing fitted, it is in etch primer, and I'm changing captive nuts, fitting a battery box etc.

When complete I have in mind to be able to use the car with either a windscreen or aeroscreens, and I have seen sidescreen cars with both fitted at the same time, albeit with not a lot of room between the aero and the windscreen.

What I am looking for is the location of the aeroscreen pedastals to allow this, so that I can drill the bulkhead and fit captive nuts to suit before getting anywhere near paint, the only areoscreen photo I have shows the pedastals fitted on the very edge of the top capping, I wonder if that is the only place, or could they be fitted just forward of this?

Any help thoughts or photo's gratefully received.

Cheers,

John.

John, what aeroscreens will you be using ?. If you use the current repro brooklands screens and Peter W's mounts you can pretty much use the factory locations for the holes and cage nuts. I would recommend that over the supplied pedestals and sheet metal screws.

Stan

My reproduction of OE aeroscreen mounts will fit with aftermarket aeroscreens and can be left in situ with the orig screen fitted. It is a lot easier to remove the orig screen to get the aeroscreen mounts in place though, unless you have a very tricky half moon spanner or prehensile fingers with AF ends.

Peter W

You say you are sorted, but just as an idea, why don't yo fit your windscreen one the bulkhead (as far as I know it doesn't require it to be painted), then you take the aero screens you want to fit, mount them on the pedestals and have a play around for optimal positioning.

My pedestals are fitted directly against the interior trim, which means a) I have to take the aero screens off when mounting the windscreen, and B) one of the pedestals is so close to the windscreen that at higher speeds the windscreen is pushed against it and making a lovely rattling noise... (Of course all thanks to the esteemed PO)

Ewald

Only my opinion, but -

It must seem a bit strange driving with aeroscreens fitted inside

the windscreen.

If you have caged nuts fitted, it must be a quick and simple job to

fit the aeroscreens after you have removed the windscreen.

Surely fitting aeroscreens is NOT a job you are going to do at the

roadside. Has to be done in a garage so you have somewhere to

store the windscreen.

AlanR