v or h rated tyres.

H speed rating is more than adequate, a nominal 130mph maximum.

195/65x15 tyres normally carry a load rating of 91, far in excess of that required by any TR - the additional tyre carcass stiffness Implied by a 149mph V speed rating is not only unnecessary on a relatively lightweight TR, it also does nothing for the ultimate roadholding.

A relatively understressed V rated tyre when it lets go under excess cornering speed will simply tend to skate you off into the boondocks uncontrollably, you won't retrieve the situation, apart from which the ride quality will be that little bit harsher than the lower speed rated H construction.

There's a lot to be said for the original 165/80x15 in the sense that it allows you to throw the car around in classic fashion, oppy lock and hang out the tail in other words, and offers a more comfortable ride for your money.

Cheers

Alec

Hello, just fitted Vredstein T Trac 165/80 x 15, better grip on cornering and braking, my Vredstein Classics seem to lock at the merest sniff of braking, T Tracs stick like glue, good coofer from Camskill Tyres, cheers, Andrew

+3 but I fear we are preaching to those who don't want to know.

Mick Richards

Thanks Alex for clearing the difference between tyre ratings, can I ask the others that agree with you. Are you agreeing on tyre size or rating.

My dilemma is I haven't driven my 6 yet and the tyres fitted by previous owner are 215's and an unfamiliar manufacturer (cheap rubbish).

I have always used good quality tyres on all my cars and don't really want to make the mistake of buying the wrong tyre choice

I am looking for a comfortable ride with plenty grip. Having read various post's regarding size I assumed 195's were the preferred choice

amongst 6 owners.

I am open to all your suggestions.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

for sure junk the 215s, utterly inappropriate.

195/65 has become a popular size, not least because the purchase cost is remarkably economical !

The wider tyres will offer good dry weather cornering, the breakaway point on good surfaces will be at higher speed than the narrower tyres can achieve . . . . . . but on poor or damp/wet surfaces the 165 tread is likely to regain grip more quickly. To some extent there's a question of what you're using the car for - dry Sunday afternoon blasts and the odd track day, go for width by all means. For more generalised useage, there's lot to be said for originality.

T-Tracs 165/80 seem to offer a remarkably good compromise between cost and performance, albeit the tread pattern doesn't look 'classic' . . . . . but then I haven't seen any 'classic' looking 195/65s !!

I see that Camskill are offering Vredestein and Continental at sensible prices - both good choices in my experience.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s408p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_165_80_15_165_80R15_R15_inch_-_165_15_165R15

Cheers

Alec

Agreed, XAS is the tyre of choice for a TR6, period.

BUT . . . . .

Bear in mind that a set of 5 XAS totals around £800 before carriage and fitting, compared to £225 or a little more for TTrac2 or CT22.

Bear in mind also that with a life of 6-10 years the Michelins are likely to be binned before they've run out of tread . . . . .

And when it comes to wheel width, 5.5" rim is as wide as you go for a 165 tyre, a 6" rim requires 175 or upwards . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

What about those Blockley tyres? A lot of historic racers seem to use them.

Pete

The only one I know who uses them is Paul Harvey, best ask him as he has bound to have explored their limits! :wacko::lol::ph34r:

Stuart.

I personally don't like the tread pattern on Blockley tyres, much rather have the albeit more expensive XAS. However praise where praise is due Blockley tyres make a 235/60/13 which will fit my Capri X pack nicely and no-one else makes those!

Alan G