TR4A radio removal and upgrade

Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum having recently acquired a very nice 1967 TR4A. It has just passed its MOT with flying colours so rather than having a winter to do list comprised of critical jobs I am thinking about removing the original (not working) radio and replacing with one of the upgraded one's available from Moss or Retrosound.

Can anyone help with info and advice on how best to remove the original one? It looks like the central section under the dash will have to come off but I was hoping there is an easier approach.

Cheers

Cammy

The radio will come out without removing the h frame. Remove the knobs then the hex nuts on the spindles. Then remove from the rear of the h frame.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Cammy,

welcome to the forum. Where about's are you based.?

If in the UK, hunt down your local group and get along there. They could be a great source of info and entertainment.

There is a company in Bristol that repair/upgrade/ improve old car radios. I'm sure somebody will be along with the name and contact soon.

You can get yours sorted or buy another form them. Old radio upgraded to FM and MP3 etc etc.

Roger

Hi Cammy,

Banchory, nice place. I stayed there in a B&B in the mid 2000's.

It is the first place were I saw salmon leaping up the waterfall/rapids - quite a spectacular sight.

We had a Chinese there and the entertainment was Dave Stewart. Sadly not the Dave Stewart - AKA 'The Singing Shammy'

Roger

Hi Roger,

It is indeed a great place - a bit of a hike from most of the car suppliers but some fantastic roads to drive with less traffic than most areas!

For other readers, I am still keen to hear about any experiences or options regarding upgrading the original radio?

Cheers

Cammy