TR4A Speedo Angle drives; an easier way?

Alan Taylor's excellent article in the last TRAction prompted me to contact him when the angle drive failed on the way back from Spain in July. I can only express my thanks to him for his help, and for the quality of the replacement which he supplied. But having just completed a pretty big rebuild of my TR4A I was reluctant to strip out the interior to deal with replacing it, as indicated in all the workshop manuals. As a result, and without much hope, I started underneath and to my very pleasant surprise, I managed to replace the angle drive and fit a new cable from below without stripping out any of the interior. I have small hands which helped, but by removing one of the exhaust clamps (the stainless exhaust helped there) and using a slim-jawed pipe wrench there was just enough room to do the job. In all it took about an hour and was certainly preferable to removing seats, h-piece, carpets, and tunnel. Worth a try if it happens to you.

It is a problem and from past experience I know what it's like trying to get to it beneath the car.

I recently removed the tunnel for an overdrive and oil seal issue,but have made a hole in the the plastic tunnel and a steel cover over the angle drive so that it's accessible just by lifting the carpet.

Regards

Kevin