TR4A commission plate

Hi

I am trying to get some info on TR4A commission plates so I can re-make them like the TR6 ones I have done.

I have a photo of one from a Vitesse and I believe from research that this is the same as the one for a TR4A and some Spitfires.

The photo I have has the wording -

COMM No

PAINT TRIM

GROSS LADEN WEIGHT-

MANUFACTURED BY

THE STANDARD MOTOR Co LTD

COVENTRY

Can anyone with an original TR4A commission plate check theirs and either confirm or correct my info?

The ones that Moss sell have 'THE STANDARD TRIUMPH MOTOR Co LTD and COVENTRY, ENGLAND' rather than 'THE STANDARD MOTOR Co LTD and COVENTRY', but from past experience I know that current ones that are available aren't always 100% correct.

Any pictures welcome (please PM them to me rather than posting on here. Happy if you want to obliterate your info on them.

Many thanks.

Rog

Hi Roger,

Bill Piggott's book Original TRIUMPH TR4/4a/5/6 shows on page 116 a few comm plates.

The wording is

COMM No.

PAINT TRIM

GROSS LADEN WEIGHT KILOS

MANUFACTURED BY

THE STANDARD MOTOR Co

COVENTRY ENGLAND

I'll dig out my very old original plate and see if there is a difference.

Roger

PS - note the Comm No and Company Co - the O is superscript and underscored.

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger,

the picture in the book is LO - Llefthand drive and Overdrive. Hence the Kilo's.

My factory fitted original states LBS (original Righthand drive)

Also the LTD after Motor Co. is in upper case but a smaller font.

Compared to the TR4, the TR4A font is more dainty.

Roger

To be precise Roger (H) on my original commission plate the L in LTD is same size font as the lettering of STANDARD MOTOR but the TD, whilst still in upper case is a smaller font. Is yours not the same?

Tim

Rog - there is an earlier thread on this subject which I think you will find gives you all the info you are looking for - its

TR4A commission plate
Started by mike ellis, Jul 12 2015 08:53 PM
I don't know how to post a better link, but I'm sure somebody will! If you are still struggling, I will try and get some good photos of the commission plates I mentioned in the earlier thread, but I won't be able to do it till next week
Cheers
Rich
  • 1 month later...