slight water leak from headbolt

Morning everyone,

Im cracking on with my 4a restoration and decided to just run the engine up to temperature.

After about 20 mins or so i noticed water slightly bubbling around two of the headbolts the

ones that are visible on the manifold side.Is this just a case of re tightening the head up

do ya think?Although i havnt really driven anywhere in it yet just run the engine up several

times.

Cheers

Nige

Hi Nige,

first impression is - not good.

Even though you haven't done the mileage It would be worth re-torquing all the studs - 105lbs/ft.

Are you using the standard composite gasket

In the worst case it is always possible that there are cracks running from the water ways in the head to the stud holes.

If this is the case then a decent sealer may be called for (K-Seal has good reports)

Roger

ok thanks roger.Yes it was a genuine copper gasket used.will re torque the bolts and add some k seal.

Sorry to hear your still having issues with clutch im sure you will get there in the end.

Nige

Edited by nigethomas

I understand from a local engine builder that this is not unusual, favourite is the front rh bolt. Seal or sealer under the washer usually fixes it.

Of course if the engine was built with seal/sealer under the washer you would never know if a drop of water was reaching the stud anyway I bet loads of 4 pots are like this.

However we are talking about the odd drop, just a weep, if its under pressure or is enough to show as coolant loss from the rad then it needs investigating further.

Chris

Nige

I had a similar problem about 2 years ago with my 4A with the front LH headbolt (manifold side) where water was bubbling up and out just under the head bolt

As you will see from the pic, the head bolt had broken and i was lucky enough to remove it, take the head off, go unleaded and put it all back together with no problems

I still dont know how the the water got to bubble up there unless the head gasket had a slight blow, but there were no cracks anywhere

All good now

Cheers and good luck

Nick

post-6828-0-16003100-1474830921_thumb.jpg

Hi NIge,

if you have a leak somewhere down the hole of a head stud simply sealing the top (under the washer) will allow water to sit around the head stud. It will go rusty and it may fail due to the rust.

Why not go for the tried and trusted 'K-seal' this works at the leak site and should not bung up anything else.

Roger

Roger, I am sure you are right but you and me ain't going to be around when it eventually happens????

HI thanks for the responses on this.Where is best place to buy lead linger ?

Nige

I have never heard of a lead linger, perhaps it is a typo for lead liner but I see from a google search that several vendors list part number 30123 and at least one of them calls it a Lead Linger.... None of them have any in stock however. TRF is usually pretty reliable and unlike Moss USA they use standard part numbers so you can find stuff. They don t have any either but they describe it as "T24 WASHER,LEAD WIRE" indicating that it fits TR2 to TR4. Sounds like a soft wire crushable washer.

Stan