TR4 non starter

Hi, have a TR4 for many years(15) and been a good runner - 10k mls per year.

Turned it over Sunday and ran with a new metallic knock in the engine. Stopped and tried again - same.

Decided to adjust tappets - as not checked for ? 18mths. Tried to turn over - no firing.

Check spark all 4 cylinders -OK, petrol supply - OK, did compression test, 10, 9.5, 10, 2.0 bar for cylinders 1,2,3 & 4.

Spark plugs were in really poor condition - cyl 4 black, 3 crust build up around ceramics other 2 not so bad.

Where do I go from here.

Incidentally, have a really bad oil leak from rear seal and was going to get this shorted in near future.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thx.

Hi (have you a name),

welcome to the forum.

How old is the petrol in the tank.

If it has simply been standing then the tappets shouldn't be  a problem.

The low #4 pressure may be crud on the valve seat.

Remove the spark plugs (and clean) and crank it over and see what oil pressure comes up.

Refit plugs and crank - has the  metalic sound gone.

New petrol in the float chamber - try and start.

Although there may be sparks at the plugs when removed they may not be there when cranking.

Consider new dizzy cap, rotor arm and capacitor - use only top quality items - if in the UK Contact the Distributor Doctor (Martin Jay)

It may be that engine removal may be sooner than planned

Roger

Sounds like the ignition and carburation need work....change plugs, rotor arm, condenser, clean points, static time at TDC....pull tops off carbs, set both carb jets to same height...height of the highest one...then it will go and you can drive for a while before tuning carbs with the lifting pins and then advancing ignition until it just pinks at full throttle top gear 30mph flat road.

Seems strange not to even fire after adjusting tappets.

Without teaching you to suck eggs, I'm assuming you adjusted the tappets in the correct order ie with 1:2 rocking adjust 3/4 etc and you got the clearances right? Was thinking it may cause you low no 4 compression. Secondly, did you remove the plug leads as may be firing order incorrect? Just a couple of ideas.

Regards

Kevin

If it ran before you checked (& adjusted ?) the valve clearances maybe you did something to stop it firing - check you set the clearances correctly (low compression on No. 4 could be -ve clearance ?

Bob.

Hi to all, and thank you for your comments on this.

I did go back and use some of the info you all offered, but the metallic noise does sound fatal.

I did mention about loosing oil from the rear seal, - now to an unacceptable and costly level.

So to sort that would mean an engine out scenario, so why not attend to the mechanical failure at that point.

That's where we are at the moment.

I have started another thread under the Technical section - Engine rebuild - new or DIY.

Again any comments would be appreciated and add a little comfort to a very miserable (for now anyway) member of the community.

I'm sure I'll have a smile on my TR before too long.

Thanks again, Rob.