Best way to show off a TR3 at a car show

Next week I'm taking the TR3A to its first major car show. It wont be in the formal concours competition, just on the field with the other 600+ British cars and part of the peoples choice awards. There will likely be another 30 or so sidescreen cars in the same class.

My car is not red and it doesnt have chrome wire wheels so we are starting off at an immediate disadvantage.

I'm wondering what most people would find appealing. For example leave the top off and try and tidy up the hood stick cover so it doesnt look like a crumpled mess ?. Or put the top up (it is new and looks good) leaving the sidescreens off. I don t think putting the top up and the sidescreens on is that great a look unless it is a wet day of course. Fully enclosed with the weather gear makes it harder to see the interior.

Thoughts ?

Stan

Hi Stan

I think showing a soft top sports car such as your TR3a needs to be exhibited as just that, as people do like to get a good view of interiors also. The TR3a has some nice interior features so I would say top down with a neat hood cover.

I've noticed more and more people are reluctant to leave the bonnets up now, but it's again a pity if the engine bay is not on show. What I tend to do is only leave the bonnet up whilst I'm with the car so that nobody takes a fancy to your plug caps or washer bottle etc. You can always put masking tape over the commission plate/ engine number if you're worried about inTRusive onlookers.

The other thing people like to see is a brief history of the car with a couple of resto photos on display. Enjoy the show and of course don't forget your green canvass chair, a flask and a copy of TR Action!

Kevin

I'd put a sign on the car stating that it's the debut of a fresh multiyear restoration by the car's owner, and show a few photos of the project from the early days. People's choice winners are based on an impulse vote other than straight concours judging, so you'll have a leg up there. Work it.

Sidescreen cars at our local All British Car Show are lumped together with TR4, TR4A, and TR250, but it's a still small class by comparison to your show. It means it ain't that hard to come home with a plaque out here -- your show sounds a lot bigger, at least in TRs. Good luck.

I'd go for hood (top) off and tidy the hood bag (stick bag) up a bit. The story of the rebuild definitely with pics.

I was amazed at the compliments I had today at the Goodwood Revival despite Geoffrey (the car) looking as scabby as he does (it is way beyond patina!!) but they were interested in its history; what it has done (lots of Classic rallies) and also what we are planning to do (RBRR 2016 and Paris-Prague Rally 2017).

I did draw the line at bonnet up though in our case! It would give even people with a strong constitution nightmares let alone the general public!

The story is key to scoring votes!

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I need to invest some time in making up a story book with some pictures. Roger, the resto budget was on life support in late 2013 so no $10 bills to spare. The other Roger, your TR2 looks great and I can see why it attracts so much interest.

The real secret to winning awards at car shows is to have a lot of friends but I would like to show how much blood sweat and tears went into this project and give it its best shot.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Good luck in Stowe! I'm hoping to attend British Car Day in Toronto for the first time with my 60 TR3A. To be honest with you, I'll be happy if I make the 3 hour round trip on the highways without anything falling off or breaking down :-)

Cheers

Tush

Edited by M. Pied Lourd

Hi Stan,

Good luck in Stowe! I'm hoping to attend British Car Day in Toronto for the first time with my 60 TR3A. To be honest with you, I'll be happy if I make the 3 hour round trip on the highways without anything falling off or breaking down :-)

Cheers

Tush

Hope you have a great day Tush. Your TR3a is looking good. I found a number of post-restoration teething problems, some of them leaving me at the side of the road but none of them serious and all my fault. I'm also looking forward to meeting up with some of the 6-pack gang from New England who are regulars at the BI event next week.

Stan

The story is VERY important. I have been to shows with Ferraris, Lambos and other exotica, and the owners of these have nothing to tell the viewers what they are looking at - not even model name and basic details of power unit. Stupid!

People are very interested in the story, so create some A4 (or better, A3) sheets, preferably with some colour and photos, and laminate them so that rain won't cause damage.

Even a humble Morris Minor van can be interesting if the owner bothers to tell the story.

Ian Cornish

Stan

I made up a collage 2foot x 3 foot with 36 pics on it 4 wide x 9 high, and put it behind Perspex and on a tripod about 1 foot off the ground and I had people queueing up to view it. The left half of the pics were the as was or before and the right half as it is now with the story through its length.

A month ago we went to a local show and my car had more interest shown that the Ferrari two cars down from it. Didn´t take the collage though, a mistake I think.

Dave

Park it up and walk away, thats what I do as I dont do polishing. Its always funny to watch peoples faces when they see the amount of dog hairs and the nose art on the inside of the windows!

Stuart.

Stan,

I agree with the restoration pictures. I've attended a few shows this summer, LBCs and others, chatted with several owners and found no one who did their own restoration. Your restoration is a major accomplishment and I certainly hope the crowd appreciates it. I'll be there if the Herald makes it (speaking of major accomplishments). . 

Tom

Hi Stan,

a leisure battery to power a couple of big digital picture frames which have a running show of lots of restoration photos . . . . and maybe another screen showing TRs in action down through the decades ?

A large peg board with some of your favourite and most-used restoration tools firmly secured to it . . . . .

The carpet slippers . . . . . :D

Cheers

Alec

Hi Stan,

a leisure battery to power a couple of big digital picture frames which have a running show of lots of restoration photos . . . . and maybe another screen showing TRs in action down through the decades ?

A large peg board with some of your favourite and most-used restoration tools firmly secured to it . . . . .

The carpet slippers . . . . . :D

Cheers

Alec

I did think about bringing a tablet and letting it scroll through the resto pictures but I was worried that in the daylight it would be hard to see the images. I'll have to test that. I have a few old Android tablets that would do the job.

The peg board is a good idea too, I have some unusual tools like a wood chisel for breaking spot welds, a bit of flattened copper pipe for backing up holes before I filled them with the MIG..

The slippers I dunno, those are too valuable to risk getting nicked and we have many shared experiences.

Hi Stan, if you message me your email address, I can send you the boards I prepared for the recent IAM show at Gaydon. As the car was representing 1958, I had one sheet covering the car's history and one based on what happened in the week/month/year it was made - the history just widening the scope to keep people interested.

Edited by McMuttley

Thanks for all the suggestions and especially the samples. Lots of great ideas. I think where I am heading is a laminated sheet with a bit of the cars history and emphasizing that this was all done at home - every defect in the car was put there by me.

Then I'll create a photo book using one of the same day printers like Walgreens with as many of the resto pictures as I can fit into the book.

I have to get all of this done by Weds

Stan

Stan

The car is what it is simple good or bad ,I do not look at paperwork so it as it is and be proud of what you have done.

I know Neil, I'm hitting 4 out of 7 deadly sins already but this is a one-off. We have guys in our club that spend hours before each event cleaning and polishing but I'm not one of those. However this is pretty much a brand new TR3A at the moment and will never look as good as it does now so I'd like to give it its best shot at getting some recognition after all this work. I'll have the collateral handy for anyone at the show that is interested.

Stan

Well, I am sure that Raymond will not mind showing a pic of him. A few years back he won the International Concours d'Elegance with his TR3A.

Look at the way he was 'dressed for the occasion': his jacket and trousers are in sync with the car's livery! It adds something without being over the top. Click for larger pics.

Menno

P1100472.jpg

P1100429.jpg

P1100431.jpg

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

I know Neil, I'm hitting 4 out of 7 deadly sins already but this is a one-off...

I'll normally dust off my car before our local show, but not much else. I figure the plaques are better reserved for those who appreciate them or need the encouragement. Last year at our local show a new car -- a partially (and not beautifully) restored TR2 trailered in with no engine got one of our three awards in class. Good for him, I say -- perhaps that'll give the impetus to continue and to improve the restoration.

You get a pass for your first show after a full restoration, Stan. Maybe even the first year back on the road. (But don't make a habit of it!)

Well, I am sure that Raymond will not mind showing a pic of him. A few years back he won the International Concours d'Elegance with his TR3A.

Look at the way he was 'dressed for the occasion': his jacket and trousers are in sync with the car's livery! It adds something without being over the top. Click for larger pics.

Menno

P1100472.jpg

P1100429.jpg

P1100431.jpg

I remember that event and the great pictures. Raymond really does look the part but I bet that straw boater would not last 10 seconds in a moving TR3A. Glynn had better get his act together.

Stan

I'll normally dust off my car before our local show, but not much else. I figure the plaques are better reserved for those who appreciate them or need the encouragement. Last year at our local show a new car -- a partially (and not beautifully) restored TR2 trailered in with no engine got one of our three awards in class. Good for him, I say -- perhaps that'll give the impetus to continue and to improve the restoration.

You get a pass for your first show after a full restoration, Stan. Maybe even the first year back on the road. (But don't make a habit of it!)

Well to get this out of my system it will take at least three goes. Once with the windshield (that is this week), once with the hardtop (a project for this winter) and once with the aeroscreens on (need a reliable weather forecast).

Stan