Recently the clutch master cylinder failed on my 1970CP.

With it's consequent removal I have realised that there is large amount of wear in the brake and clutch pedal pivot bushes. Is it a problem to remove the pedal box to replace them or do I just live with it?

Would the new bushes have to be pressed in if I do replace them?

Hi Shylock, my TR6 is the same age as yours, & I recently fitted pedal pivot bushes; removing the pedal box is fairly straightforward (if a bit fiddly), just follow the workshop manual. When I took the pedals out, there weren't any bushes at all; it would seem that very early '6s were fitted with nylon bushes, which, with time, simply wear away or disintegrate! Therefore, you might be in the same situation. If there are still bushes, I'd imagine you should be able to cut them out with a junior hacksaw. To replace the (steel)bushes, I just made sure that the tubes at the top of each pedal were nice & clean, and tapped the bushes in with a rubber mallet. I'd say allow 3-4 hours for the job. Hope this helps, good luck with the job, Paul.

Buy new shafts as well as bushes and while its all out check for ovality of the clevis pin holes and if they are weld them up and re-drill.

Stuart.