Gearbox Selector Rod oil leak

Hi Folks,

I am plagued by an oil leak from the GB selector rod area.

Last winter I took it all apart to replace the O-rings and found that the rings were very much undersize and fairly useless.

The new O-rings were no better.

The ring OD was smaller than the bore in the top cover and the depth of the bore was considerably deeper than the thickness of the ring. This allowed the O ring to float around and not really do its job.

I ended up making a new ring that sat on the rod nicely, filled the OD and had a decent thickness to stop it floating around.

However this is not working. Quite a fair amount of oil is coming out.

When I mentioned this last winter a couple of posters came back and suggested a breather hole.

The OD already has a breather but I drilled a new breather hole oat the front of the top cover.

So it probably is not pressurisation but capillary action.

Has anybody succeeded in stopping the oil flow from the rods.

I plan on taking the engine and GB out of the car at the end of September so any advice would be most welcome

Roger

Hi Pete,

I have a lip seal on the rear journal and am not convinced it is doing its job.

I shall be looking at that at the end of Sept. as well.

I am coming up with an idea about the selector rod leak and how to seal them.

Roger

Sorry Pete

I thought you was doing the lakes tour . I am up there a week later.

Thanks for the heads-up on Villa Positano Neil, we're up in Keswick from Sunday until late Thursday night so will give it try - probably more than once if it's that good, as we both love our Italian food!

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for the heads-up on Villa Positano Neil, we're up in Keswick from Sunday until late Thursday night so will give it try - probably more than once if it's that good, as we both love our Italian food!

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Dont forget the rose for Bev ;)

Roger

I had the same problem, my selector shafts were badly pitted so i attempted to clean them up but that only reduced the OD and they were no better. My next attempt was new second hand shafts that were in much better shape than my old ones and i used the original O rings from the second hand casing which seemed to have a smaller inside diameter and its worked,no more leaks.

Graham

Size reference 112, 1/2" ID 11/16" OD and 3/32" CS

From memory - best double check

And my TR box went from waterfall of oil to dry from the selectors - Tony Millward tip btw

Edited by Mk1PI