differential gasket

Hi

I noticed my diff was leaking oil from the back cover so decided to remove it and fit new gasket with silicone.the gasket that came off was very thick and heavy duty.the gasket I brought is a lot thinner and when I re fitted the cover and filled back up its still leaking.is there anywhere I can buy one of the original thick gaskets from?

Cheers

Nige

The replacement gaskets do fit, make sure the mating faces are correct

Tom

The latest gasket I have bought from Moss for the rigid axle diff cover (NB-different to IRS Diff gasket, which is wafer thin paper) is of a thicker material than the tat they were selling. I bought the item in the last 2 weeks as Pt No 101359.

Still not the corn flake packet thickness of OE item, but shed loads better than before.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Corn flake packet...hmmm. Done it before, cover both sides with Blue Hylomar, make sure the cover plate is dressed flat and don't overtighten.

Mick Richards

Yep done that one a few times !

Bob.

+1

Mind you Cornflake packets 'ain't as thick as they used to be! ;)

If it's a live axle diff with a tin lid back plate . . . . . then you'll need to make sure the tin lid is dressed back to a flat mating face - which like as not will take a bit of time and patience.

And clean the diff housing face until it shines flat, and it might well need a bit of dressing too . . . .

Then apply appropriate sealant to choice, to both mating faces, allow to dry off a little, then carefully apply the gasket, smooth gently with fingers, and put lid gasket and housing together.

Bolt the lid on like a wheel, 12,6,9,3 o'clock etc, a bit at a time, until you reach the specified torque figure in the workshop manual. That's the crucial part, in my experience at least.

Cheers

Alec