Driver window regulator.

Hi all

My driver side window does not go up and down correctly.

For some of the travel the mechanism works fine but near the top it jumps and the window stops but the winding handle does not.

I know what the issue is, the gear wheel which turns when you wind the handle and the semi-circular geared plate it moves are both badly worn and i would say this is a common problem, especially on the drivers side. The passenger side is fine.

Fixing the toothed plate is possible, adding weld the the teeth then grinding has improved the tooth profiles but it still jumps.

On dismantling the winder mechanism, using Ed at Bullfires recent post as a guide (thanks Ed), i've also discovered that the gear wheel is badly worn, unlike Ed's, lucky man, and in reality in not capable nor have the equipment to think about repairing the gear wheel.

Now i can buy a new mechanism, probably average quality, buy S/H maybe worn as well, or try to repair, the gear is not available to buy.

So i'm on the lookout for a broken or damaged mechanism that is essentially scrap that i can strip the gear wheel from or just the gear wheel.

A passenger side would be best as i would anticipate wear of the gear wheel will be least but anything will do.

Has anyone got anything out there that is sitting unwanted in a corner waiting to be binned.

Many Thanks

Keith

Alan

Always the option to buy new, but i think i'm in the catagory of restorer who wants to use as many of the old parts as I can and repair if possible.

So if there is anything out there i would be grateful.

Also looking at the new/SH ones on the web the TR7 version seems to have the same winder mechanism so i may be able to butcher one of those?

Cheers

Keith

As its the R/hand one then buy a complete one s/hand one from a L/hand drive car as it wont have had hardly any use. Personally I just fit new as they are fine apart from the stub for the winder handle is a tad shorter.

Stuart.