Hi-Torque starter installation

• 11 months later...

end plate on some ev got multiple holes drilled init

this so the body can be rotated aboot.

ev a look on end, as on one of yer pics, first,ns, there seems t,be a hole showing !!

Butt, I be v v wary of useing them upside doon,

as Ive fun oot, thee,s things get destroyed wid water getting in,

mainly thru the end joints, but also thru the OE drain hole, which are noo no a drain, but a fill hole,!!

Unless they been sealed up

it can be dire results too.

me self, try an re orientate it

meb,e no fully up right, as then the body oft starter interfeers wid the top bolt

but this can be fixed by a shorter bolt, or a fixed bolt thru the starter,

end plate es t,come off, just 2 set screws though

or just re orientate it so as the bolt an nut easy accessed

see thread on water ingress,

So, mek sure its weel sealed up, an new drain holes are fitted where a drain should be

http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1455479990/

M

Re MARCUS +1

But for what its worth IMHO somebody (Moss?) is flogging HT starters assembled for engines with starter on left, for engines with starter on right. Solenoid should be on top and main electrical contact on outside.

Will it work upside down, probably.

Me I'd send it back

Alan

I've just been struggling turning my HiTorque starter to the 'right' position!

Take a fools advice ~ mount the starter with the fixed bolt to the bottom as mine was originally.

Now that I've turned the starter to the 'right' position getting at the free nut and bolt mounting at the bottom is a bloody nightmare

as I've got a branched exhaust system.

I now wish I'd left everything as it was. Having the main cable near the engine is no problem as I have heat insulation material

to fit.

I may well reverse the position of the starter!!

Having created detachable inspection panels to my gearbox cover made access to the starter mounting very easy.

Tom.

Having created detachable inspection panels to my gearbox cover made access to the starter mounting very easy.

Yes I did the same in the end, was always catch 22, couldn't take the headers off without removing starter, couldn't get at bottom starter bolt without removing headers!

Edited by oldtuckunder

Before you do have a read of this thread

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/22943-is-this-starter-too-close-to-the-exhaust/

Only because it intrigued me, a bit of digging on the WOSP, MOSS and other sites does indicate that there are different models of the same starter for the same car. It appears that they can be reorientated the correct way up but only by moving the flange around not just turning so that top and bottom bolts swap.

The Powerlite ones all seem to come the right way up regardless of what model Triumph, the WOSP ones appear to be a bit random, so it may depend on what specification individual suppliers ordered from WOSP to sell to you as the correct item.

As Marcus reported he has melting damage on his HT from close proximity to headers (although right way up) and following his experience when installing mine (the right way up) I fabricated a heat shield to go between the rear of the HT and the header down pipes, only because I could and seemed a good idea to reduce risk.

However there seem to be a number of people happily running with the upside down ones, however its unclear what sort of headers they are running and in what proximity they are to the HT.

Alan

Hi Dawn in your post #9 you show a very tidy distributor cap with leads, it appears to me you have connected it up with a firing order of 1234 should be 1342.

Paul

Apologies Dawn/Pete now I have enlarged it does seem right.

Paul