Jenvey throttle bodies air box.

Hi All.

Starting my EFI conversion this weekend, and am thinking of making an air box rather than filters on the trumpets. I won't have a lot of room to the inner wheel arch. Should the trumpets be left on or just the air box ?

Cheers Mark.

Hi Andreas.

Is that the minimum gap from the opening on the ram pipe to the air box wall ? Do you think it would be a good idea to fit the air temp sensor in the air box ?

Thanks again Mark.

No - air temp sensor is for the ambient air temp - so NOT in a forced airstream within the airbox.

You need the sensor somewhere out of a draught and away from engine heat so that it records the ambient air temperature of the day - like your weather forecaster.

Somewhere say behind a front panel - protected from sources of heat from the vehicle and away from the airstream caused by the travelling vehicle (as well as driving rain!)

Be good to see the end result when all fitted ;-)

Hi Andreas.

Is that the minimum gap from the opening on the ram pipe to the air box wall ? Do you think it would be a good idea to fit the air temp sensor in the air box ?

Thanks again Mark.

Yes that is the minimum space, 20mm would be better and definitely enough although this still looks pretty narrow.

I found the best position for air temp sensor is between stock air filter and air tube.

That is the place besides the radiator.

Just did see the above recommendation:

I have it in the airstream, drilled a hole in the tube where filter box and

air tube bolts on. -It works-

Edited by TriumphV8

I converted my TR5 to EFI more than six years ago and do not regret it one bit.I did it as it was nagging at me for years when I had my TR6.

Sold my TR6. Went mad and bought a succession of modern powerful motorbikes then Two TR7,s but after all that, missed the six cylinder

engine. Bought a wreck (TR5) and fully restored it.After ten years I bit the bullet and converted it to EFI using Emeralds ECU and some parts.

The rest was my slant on machined parts etc to make it look like a stock engine to the uninitiated. Jerry Vincent was one of my aspirations

as he converted his (TR5) around 12-14 years ago and kindly let me have a drive to see what it was all about.I also fitted power steering

which enhances the drive. Others love driving her.

Do it your self and the cost is bearable believe me.

My other concours winning TR5 is stock and will remain so as I wanted a TR5 as it was from the factory. Nothing wrong with that but a harder drive than my one with all the toys on.

Was EFI worth it? OH YES.

Regards Harry TR5s Nutter

Thanks Harry.

To be honest I haven't heard one bad report from people that have gone down the EFI route, I'm still having problems with the Lucas and it will have to be sent back to Prestige before I can sell it on.

Cheers Mark.

Another one bites the dust :( no gain Tom ;) apart from empty wallet at the end of the day.

But Neil this is Tom.

You know he cannot do standard.

I think you can get shorter trumpets, which might be worth it as 10mm clearance is very little. They would shorten the inlet uct slightly, and raise the max torque revs slightly, but improve breathing so probably overall benefit.

Anyway, with an air box on, you can't see the shiny, shiny bits!!

John

The trumpets also reduce 'entry loss':

Vizard shows how trumpet shape influences entry losses:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-X_j8G7hq4OQ/U5wqYwXf5pI/AAAAAAAAA7k/NY_MRrwDBCI/s1600/VizardVstack001a+(2).tif

Jaguar data show how resonant tuning depends upon manifold length:

https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/images/diesel/air/~vol_eff.png

And all you need to know about air flow around the trumpet mouth:

http://www.nsxprime.com/w/images/9/9e/%28Blair_and_Cahoon%29_Design_of_an_intake_bellmouth_Sept._2006.pdf

-the importance of the free space in front and to the sides of the trumpet can be seen in the cfd images.

Vizard's no 11 profile looks useful if the space in front of the trumpet is restricted.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold