Installing Tr4a wheel arch covers

Folks,

I am am putting a new interior in my Tr4a, and I'm not sure about the procedure for installing the wheel arch covers. I've read some posts on this forum, and others, but it's still not clear to me what steps to follow, especially regarding the glue application.

I've marked where the piping goes based on the old cover. So here come the questions.

Should the top and side pads be glued to the arch first, then glue the cover to the pad? Some info I've seen suggests gluing the pads to the covers, then gluing them to the arch as a single unit.

Should the the covers be glued to the top arch first, then pull & glue the arch side?

Should glue be sprayed over the entire arch surface (top, then side), or is glue only applied to the piping seam area, and just the edge of the top and side?

Any other tips?

thanks!

Jim

Jim, before you jump in there are some very good descriptions on the web on exactly how to do this. I used them but I can't recall where they reside for the moment.

Edit. Found it

http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/wheel_arch_covers.htm

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Jim,

We recently retrimmed the inside of our car and are very happy with the look of the wheel arch panels and this is what we did.

We glued the foam pads to the wheel arches first so that we could trim them for a perfect fit as any wrinkles or overlaps would show through. Also the side panels of the top cover need to be stretched taught to get a bubble free finish.

You say you have marked the position of the piping on the arch, We also did a trial fit (no glue) and marked the position on both the cover and the arch in several places down the length of the piping on the inside.

We used evostick from a tin and fixed the top panels first, marrying up the positioning marks first and then smoothing back towards the side of the car.

Let that dry thoroughly so you have something to pull against to get a smooth fit for the arch sides. Do a dry run first to see where the cover will need to be tensioned.

We used spray evostick to coat the arch side and the inside of the cover, (at this point you cant fold the cover back to expose the side that needs the glue) Pull and manipulate the cover into position working from the piping down and out to the sides, it helps if two of you are on the job, one to tension the cover and the other to smooth and stick down.

Sadly we did not take any photos of the operation but as I said, very happy with the result. Hope this all makes sense, if not then just ask and I will try and make it clearer.

Good Luck

Barry

Edited by BarryG

Thanks! It didn't occur to me to use brush on adhesive. Ill have much more control than with the spray kind. I think my plan is to apply the brush on adhesive at the seam first, adhere it, then apply/attach to the arch top in 2 inch increments. That might be easier for me to control than trying to glue the entire arch top at one go. Then as you say, after the top is dry, start on the arch side.

I'm going to try it this weekend. I'll let you know how it comes out, unless I glue myself to the fender! (Oops, I mean wing! ) :-)

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim