Morning sages.

Got involved in swopping the clutch in a 4A,

and there are some differences on the hydraulic side I didn't anticipate,

so;-

The manual shows essentially the same slave cylinder and pushrod assembly as the TR4,

We have no return spring, no adjustable pushrod and the slave cylinder mounted, bleed nipple at the bottom,

I took this all to be wrong. Now I can put it all back, as I think and as both the book and my TR4, but am I missing something?

The car has run as we found it for years?

John.

I believe that the 4A has a diaphram clutch, no return spring, & therefore no need for an adjustable pushrod. however I think the bleed nipple should always be at the top.

Bob.

I believe that the 4A has a diaphram clutch, no return spring, & therefore no need for an adjustable pushrod. however I think the bleed nipple should always be at the top.

Bob.

Yes, I would agree with Bob, assuming all is standard.

Graeme

For what it's worth John I've got the diaphram clutch in mine, no return spring,adjustable push rod and slave mounted with bleed uppermost, never had a problem with the hydraulic side, just eaten a couple of **** quality release bearings before I found a good one which has now done over 10K and still running silent.

Hi John,

as per Bob's comments.

What bearing carrier are you using.

The 4A should be steel but many people use the Bronze carrier.

What I have recently found is that the bronze carrier (intended for the earlier 2/3/4 with return spring) will wear badly if there is no return spring.

The fork pins dig in to it. The material appears softer than 10 years or so ago.

I am now using a steel carrier with the anti-rotation pin and the extension sleeve (for the carrier) lubricated with copperease.

I have also made the 45'chamfer on the back of the carrier in to a rounded section. - two weeks on and still working very well.

Roger

So Guys,

Don't use a return spring, use an adjustable pushrod and put the slave cylinder the correct way up.

Roger, steel bearing carrier but forks had dug in, this hasn't been apart for 30 years!

re fitted the tiny roll pin through 90 degrees, if it lasts another 30 years, can't see me being bothered!

thanks all.

John.