Hi John,

I have the AP Racing 4 pot calipers, with Mintex 1144 pads, Cosworth discs, braided hoses, AP racing brake fluid, Alfin drums and competition brake linings, which work very well indeed, bite and do not fade. However, my car is used on tracks, and for sprinting, etc.

Standard TR6 brakes in good order, with something like a Mintex 1144 pad should work well and be more than adequate at slowing you down. I would be inclined to investigate your existing set-up, before investing money in aftermarket brakes.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Many do not see that its not the front brake friction that make the way to stop

shorter but it is the combination of front and rear breaking.

Best is when the rears lock a tiny little bit after the front.

But as that might make the car difficult to drive under other conditions

like wet the manufacturers stay a bit away from that.

Thats why we see Formula one drivers often adjust the break balance.

The have it set at the limit and have to readjust when something changes.

So the vented discs should not make stopping easier but allow to make

several hard stops in a row without fading. If somebody drives that hard

its very well spent money, if somebody prefers cruising and only needs

best stopping once at emergency its wasted money (although it looks pretty nice)

If the aim is to reduce pedal force I would recommend for a hotter cam in the engine

to use a vacuum pump from a diesel engine. I had the OPEL Corsa alternator 70 Amps

with included pump in use with great success. Its cheap and helps a lot with the 290 degree cam.

Also the double membrane brake boosters from the Volvo are an option. They decrease the

needed brake force significantly to the level of a modern car.

Hi Guys

I am thinking of upgrading the brakes on my 6 to BCC 4pot calipers, Anybody out there got experience and are they a worthwhile.

Fitted new std. disc and calipers last year. These just feel a bit dead, would a change of pads make a difference.

JohnR

Sounds to me too that you should try a different brake material.

Four pots confer no advantage, unless the intension is to fit wider discs and gain a mechanical leverage benefit. That they may allow a Niger pad is no advantage, unless the pressure o the pads cane be increased, which would help 2-pots. A servo won't help, unless you suffer from a condition that limits leg power.

You should be able to lock-up all four wheels from all most any speed, when it's the tyrethsat are the limiting factor

1144s are god, if pricey. 1155s do well if you suffer from fade, being a "hotter" compound, but working well at the first roundabout.

John

Andreas,

Also the double membrane brake boosters from the Volvo are an option.

Do you have any idea of a part number or model & year for such a suitable Volvo servo?

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Hi Guys

Thanks for that, will investigate changing pads and save some money.

This began with attending a seminar at IWE

JohnR

If all is ok change to hawk pads and you will save money and stop

If all is ok change to hawk pads and you will save money and stop

Yep +1

Stuart.

Andreas,

Do you have any idea of a part number or model & year for such a suitable Volvo servo?

It is this one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BREMSKRAFTVERSTARKER-VOLVO-V90-S90-HAUPTBREMSZYLINDER-/152184532133?hash=item236ee7aca5:g:-7gAAOSwgY9Xcigp

There is some work requiered but the master cylinder fits properly.

Brake lines should be longer to look nice,

the four bolts to on the other side require redrilling and the fork must be shortend

but the result is worth any work.......

Edited by TriumphV8

You can fit MK1 XJ6 callipers using a TR3 brake bracket.

I bought my Kit from Pete Cox a few years ago, they were excellent, (although slated by some on the forum )

Reg Woodcock used them on his Race car, and if they were good enough for Mr Woodcock…………………………….

You can fit MK1 XJ6 callipers using a TR3 brake bracket.

I bought my Kit from Pete Cox a few years ago, they were excellent, (although slated by some on the forum )

Reg Woodcock used them on his Race car, and if they were good enough for Mr Woodcock…………………………….

Ah....Reg Woodcock. Often watched him undertaking the Astons around the old Woodcote bend. He didnt appear to use the brakes much!

Peter

Hello, lots of ideas on front brake pads, what is the view on rear shoes to complement the, I assume, better clamping force of the Hawk pads on the front, cheers, Andrew

Andrew,

The pads are irrelevant when it comes to "clamping force", which is entirely due to the hydraulics.

And IMHO, there is little difference between the various makes of brake material in stopping ability, except for some that make more dust (EG "Colour" Stuff).

So many seek "better brakes" and blame the material, when the hydraulics should be considered, before the tyres which are the ultimate decider on stopping.

JOhn

Andrew,

The pads are irrelevant when it comes to "clamping force", which is entirely due to the hydraulics.

And IMHO, there is little difference between the various makes of brake material in stopping ability, except for some that make more dust (EG "Colour" Stuff).

So many seek "better brakes" and blame the material, when the hydraulics should be considered, before the tyres which are the ultimate decider on stopping.

JOhn

John,

You'll make no friends on here coming out with truthful stuff like that, so many still think that 4 pots are the only good brakes and vented discs to go with it are even better for road use.

Won my first race championship with standard discs and calipers without a servo AND roadgoing pad material (admittedly a set of pads a race).

Once you can stop the wheel turning you don't need any better brakes, then it's all down to the tyre grip.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I need to replace my pads shortly.....so what make should I go for? Whatever is in there at the mo has made the wheels black.... Probably down to my driving style.

Digital throttle and digital brakes.... All noughts and ones!!

As per the recommended posts, Mintex 1144 (my favourite ) or the Hawk pads now have a strong following, review the websites posted above.

Mick Richards