Oil on Exhaust = smoke

Hi Guys,

My car is finally on the road after 10 months re-commissioning and I'm having a fabulous time with her.

I have an oil leak on the rear main crankshaft oil seal which I'll have to live with for now, approx a pint per 200 miles.

I am getting oil on my exhaust partly from the above leak but also quite a lot from my gearbox (non overdrive)

There's quite a lot of oil around the rear mounting, presumably this is coming from the cover higher up? Is this common?

I'm periodically getting a lot of white smoke behind the car and coming into the cabin. As I don't have time for the next 6 months to remove the box is there anything that can be done, I thought maybe an aluminium 'deflector plate' above the exhaust?

Today I have degreased and jet washed the area and will take her for a drive now to see if its coming from a different place. I will also tighten any bolts I can get to.

Thank you in advance

Colt

Hi Colt, is it a 4 or 4a. Either the engine is worn or the crankcase venting is not working. Check PCV valve on 4A and rocker cover vent on both. Do a trial run with PCV removed, Manifold blanked off and vent rocker cover with a plain pipe down past sump. My 4a has run like that for years, even before the engine was rebuilt it only lost a few spoonfuls of oil on a trip not pints.

Thanks Chris. Its a 4A. PCV was replaced for a new one a month ago because oil was coming out the dipstick.

Its worse today, at speeds of 55 upwards I get a lot of smoke from the exhaust, oil from the engine and gearbox I think.

I used a quarter on the dipstick in 30 miles :( Does the engine have to come out for a new rear crank seal?

I'm pretty sure the drips on the drive are engine oil not gearbox oil.

Hi Colt, the standard rear seal is a scroll seal, not really a seal at all, more like an oil thrower/ diverter. If there is pressure in the engine due to poor breathing or worn bores then it will be forced out past the rear seal.

What colour are the plugs after a run?

Have you done a compression check?

Seek a second opinion, where are you, is there a local group nearby?

Edited by potts4a

If smoke is blowing out of the exhaust then I'm afraid it's burning in the engine, which is likely to be expensive. Changing the rear crank seal for one of the more effective designs won't help that. :(

Pete

Hi Guys,

The smoke isn't from inside of the exhaust its oil on the outside of the exhaust. Theres a tapped hole in the bottom of the bellhousing and its

dripping a lot from that and also the small cover at the back of the bellhousing.

Compression a month ago when setting things up were -

1 - 91

2 - 97

3 - 89

4 - 98

I think these are quite low?

Re oil , buy cheapest 20/50 or 20/60 you can find and add can of STP, this will thicken it up nicely and help prevent leaking and blow by.

You'll be surprised how a good leak from the crankshaft finds itself all over the underside, including around the gearbox. If you have 90 grade oil in the box it will smell different to engine oil so get a smear from around the selectors and give it a sniff. It's legal!

Edited by peejay4A