Metering Unit Drive Pedestal

I'm still having problems with leaking seals on the Dizzy to Metering Unit Drive Pedestal of my 5 :(

Can the drive gear wear out and cause new seals to fail?

Any advice welcomed

Gary

Where is it leaking and petrol or oil?

Petrol leak out the hole at the bottom of the casting :angry:

Edited by Gary Flinn

Push on pipe, it's new hose and fitted with Hose clips so no leaking from the pipe?

New seals fitted and installed the correct way round and in the correct position.

I'm 99% Sure they weren't damaged installing them?

It's very annoying, just want to get out and drive the bloody thing! :angry:

Push on pipe, it's new hose and fitted with Hose clips so no leaking from the pipe?

New seals fitted and installed the correct way round and in the correct position.

I'm 99% Sure they weren't damaged installing them?

It's very annoying, just want to get out and drive the bloody thing! :angry:

Good

Now talc a piece tissue and wrap around the push on pipe , run it report back

I know where you are going with this one Neil, same happened to me ,which you diagnosed,

Cheers,

Conrad.

I've had a mate blow done the return pipe with the Tank end disconnected and I could feel the Air coming out at the tank end so I'm sure it's not blocked?

The return pipe isn't very big diameter though, about 3/16" pipe I reckon, is this big enough?

I had a call off my mate who had stripped down the Pedestal, he was concerned that there may be to much play on the drive shaft that runs directly in the pedestal, there was a fair bit of play when he rocked the shaft?

So I scrounged another Pedestal off a mate in Derby on my way home, this was stripped down about an hour ago and similar if not worse play was found, is this normal?

I would have thought there should be no slop or minimal play or the petrol seal may not be able to do it's job, what do you guys think, could it be I need the pedestal boring out and fitting with a phosphor Bronze sleeve to reduce the play, this is what my Mate thinks may be needed?

I've got yet another Pedestal on the way off another mate Dave, if this one checks out the same as the other two then presumably it's normal and this isn't the problem?

I suppose i could run a seperate pipe back from the Metering unit return directly into the top of the tank and see if return pipe is actually the problem?

Edited by Gary Flinn

I haven't done the test yet because the Pedestal is off the car still with no seals, I'm reluctant to fit the new Seals I bought off Malcolm from Prestige if it's still going to leak?

With regards to the shims I haven't touched anything, there is a gasket still where the pedestal bolts down, thats all?

I didn't build the Engine so don't know if things are correctly shimmed?

I remember doiing this on the Vitesse when I rebuilt he engine on that, must get a workshop manual for the 5!

The strange thing is this leak has only started since removing and replacing the Metering unit after having it re-conditioned?

Edited by Gary Flinn

I haven't done the test yet because the Pedestal is off the car still with no seals, I'm reluctant to fit the new Seals I bought off Malcolm from Prestige if it's still going to leak?

With regards to the shims I haven't touched anything, there is a gasket still where the pedestal bolts down, thats all?

I didn't build the Engine so don't know if things are correctly shimmed?

I remember doiing this on the Vitesse when I rebuilt he engine on that, must get a workshop manual for the 5!

The strange thing is this leak has only started since removing and replacing the Metering unit after having it re-conditioned?

How thick is the casket ( check) you need to do the test as I am sure where the problem is and easy fix.

Neil

PM Sent,.

I've got some Landscape work to do tomorrow on the Garden, then going away for a few days so won't have time to check till later next week.

Just want to make the best of the decent weather now it's here at last!

...and when it is in bits it is worth checking the state of the two cross pins that hold the gear to the shaft.

Items 97 & 99

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/engine/engines-components/internal-engine-585005.html

Peter W

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the Pedestal leak, after having the Pedestal line bored and fitted with a Phosphor Bronze bush were the Metering Unit drive shaft goes through, together with more new seals, everything seems fine now?

Went for a 10 Mile run, no leaks :)

Could this be the end of my PI trouble?

I hope so!!!

Well done Gary, trial and error ,a good dollop of patience and some good advice eventually cures the problem.

Happy Motoring, and keep on top of it all, and the problems get fewer !!

Have fun,

Conrad.