Fitting instrument bulbs to 4A - help!

I want to replace my original 2.2W instrument bulbs with LED alternatives for lower power consumption and a cleaner, whiter light. I obtained some Type 1 bulbs and these are fine for the ignition, direction indicator and main beam warning lights. However, being very directional they are useless for illuminating the speedo and tacho. For these I purchased some bulbs as Type 2 with side mounted LEDs and they give excellent results.

All these bulbs are quite easy to fit with no dismantling necessary. I now want to fit Type 2 bulbs to the four other instruments and in order to get access to do this I need to be able to pull the dashboard, complete with instruments, forward just a few inches. I fitted a replacement dash board a few years ago but now cannot recall how I did it! If I disconnect the speedo and tacho drive cables from the back of these instruments and remove the five screws securing the dash board to the fascia panel will this give me the movement I need to access the rear of the small gauges or do I need to remove the glove box as well?

Tim

post-9073-0-84268100-1469046987_thumb.jpgpost-9073-0-76794600-1469047000_thumb.jpg

Tim

As well as disconnecting the speedo and tacho drive cables you also need to remove the two insruments as they are held to the metal dash. The glove box should be fitted to the metal dash and, if so, can be left in place. Before removing the screws from the wooden dashboard disconnect the car's battery as when you pull the wooden dashboard towards you there is a risk that the wires to the guages can touch the metal dash causing a short. Beware that the hinge to the glovebox is screwed to the metal dashboard.

RBRR preparation?

Graham

Roger beat me to it!

Edited by Grahamgl

Many thanks to both, excellent input. I reckon it was odds on that Roger would be first along! No prep needed for the Round Britain Graham, car is ready to go right now, as is yours I'm sure. Changing these bulbs is just a refinement I had been thinking about for some time. I reckon the six LED instrument illumination bulbs will save the best part of 1 amp at night, which is handy since I am still running a dynamo.

I used to run with the old bulbs dimmed by the rheostat to the point where they were just readable, otherwise I found that the chromed speedo and tacho bezels gave an annoying reflection in the screen. Of course the rheostat is not as effective with LED bulbs so I will need to mask the offending parts of the bezels, maybe with black insulating tape.

Tim

I echo Roger's advice in disconnecting the battery I know from bitter experience when a loose lighting wire to one of the instruments connected with the live feed to the ammeter resulting a fried loom.

Chris

Good tip Chris. When I have access to the rear of the dash I'll make sure any exposed part of the ammeter connections is well insulated!

Tim

Hi Tim,

Do you have a link for the bulbs you went for?

Your images in the first post seem to come from different sources.

This is something I'd like to do to my 4a too, as a couple of bulbs have gone anyway and I may as well upgrade at the same time.

Thanks.

Edited by Steve_B

Steve,

I am sorry but I am such a klutz that I have no idea how to post a link, it's all I can do to attach a picture! I can tell you that the bulbs with side mounted LEDs were described as "2PCS E10 1.2W 6500K 70-LUMEN 5-SMD LED Car Bulbs White Light (Pair/DC 12V) doUK" the ebay seller was dohairx (151954)

The other bulbs were "2PCS E10 T10 Style Screw Plug LED Bulb Lionel Lamp Cold White Lighting" and the seller th-guoqi (29073).

in both cases delivery from PRC was prompt.

I do hope this helps.

Tim

Hi Tim,

posting links is easy.

bring up your web site image - if you google Moss you will get their home page. At the top of the page there will be an address in the address bar.

Highlight this address (shift button and swipe the cursor across) then CTRL C. - this saves the address.

Open you forum replay page. Within the text box do CTRL V and this will paste it

It works for anything with a web address

Roger

Thanks Roger, you make it sound easy, I'll give it a try next time. Yes Pete, I am on Windows, still 7 you won't be surprised to learn, I never bothered with 8 and so far have resisted all sneaky attempts to get me to download 10 inadvertently.

Tim

I am sure that's right Mike but not a problem in my case. The "Type 1" bulbs are all behind coloured plastic lenses anyway (red green and blue) and I have eight of the other type for instrument illumination leaving me two spares. I can't imagine me ever needing these - I have never had to change a 2.2watt panel bulb in over 45 years and LEDs are meant to be longer lasting!!

Tim .

• 7 years later...

This is another job on my to do list... It is mainly the speedo and tacho which are very very dim but while i am at it i figure i might as well change all the bulbs to LED. Has anyone done this recently and can recommend where to buy the bulb kit? Thanks, Richard

There have been a couple of recent threads about this Richard. Sources are mentioned in the thread.