Advice for a newbie

Hello all, Im new to this forum but looking into getting a tr4 as a project once ive sold my mini to make room,

Just after some advice and opinions really about which model people find most desirable? I would prefer a rhd model, what to avoid when buying a project? im not afraid to tackle anything on the body or mechanically

My budget will hopefully be somewher around the 6 - 7 k mark dependent on the sale of my mini? What could I reasonably expect to get for that kind of money?

Any advice info greatly appreciated

Thanks

Rob

The TR4 benefited from all the improvements made to the sidescreen cars, plus rack & pinion steering, face level ventilation, more practical weather equipment, bracing of the scuttle, and wider track and bodywork. The chassis, being a widened TR3A, was equally robust.

Things went downhill with the TR4A: waisted (more flexible) chassis, less strong suspension mountings (must be beefed up if not to come adrift), more complexity in the drive train, and undesirable camber changes at the rear.

If you look at results achieved nowadays in classic rallying, you'll note the vehicle of choice for TR people.

Ian Cornish

Rob,

You will find this Forum both friendly and very helpful.

But - when you ask such a wide question, where do we

start with a reply?

The suggestion to see a few TRs and chat to some local

members is a useful suggestion, and you would also find

willing volunteers to check out local cars. You may even

find a TR available locally - that would be a real bonus,

as you can easily get conned into a 200 mile drive to see

a poor car based on the sellers rose tinted specs.

AlanR

If you look at results achieved nowadays in classic rallying, you'll note the vehicle of choice for TR people.

Ian Cornish

Yep your teeth fall out :P ask why most modern cars are IRS

If you're not interested in competition there's nothing wrong with the IRS. As used on the TR5 and TR6.

And Stag.

And T2000/2500.

etc etc.

In the 6-7 K range you can get a very good US LHD project, UK delivered. If you're looking for a UK RHD you'll get a guaranteed life-time basket case for the same money.

I think Stef is right on the money, but who knows you might strike lucky with a RHD.

The most important thing is the chassis, from a good base almost anything can be sorted out.

Good luck David

Thank u all, ive got some buyers guides now, time to start having a look around, if anyone knows of any im my price range let me know, im open to anything to have a look out, lookong forward to being an active member of the forum!

Rob,

Sadly, with TR4 prices having increased so much over the last year or two,

you will have your work cut out in finding anything much more than drivable

and MOT-able in the 6-7k price range.

May just be someone in your local group who is selling, but owners tend to

hang on to their cars. I bought my two TR4s in 1977 and 1981!

Hope you succeed, though.

AlanR