• 1 month later...

Hi Mike, A lot of people have used EP90 gear oil and it does in fact mention that is an ST approved oil in the owners handbook but I think it was Ian Cornish who dug out a Laycock manual which expressly said " under no circumstances us Extreme Pressure (ie EP90) type oil in an overdrive gear box as it will contaminate the inner clutch face' I've always followed this advice and just use a straight SAE 40 oil in mine.

hoges

Penrite gear 40 for me.

Valvoline SAE30 non-detergent in the full-synchro, OD 'box in my TR3B. Recommended by Mark Macy of Macy's Garage over here.

Im sure i read that the issue with using EP oil in the gearbox/overdrive was to do with the additives in the GL5 spec oils, and that EP 80 GL 4 was fine?

I may have imagine it....... But my gearbox is working fine on EP80 GL4.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Ive posted this elsewhere on the forum but the official Laycock manual specifically says " do not use Extreme Pressure ie EP grade oil in an overdrive gear box". I have always adhered to this advice and only use SAE 30 or similar.

hoges

Hi Folks,

this is what I have read regarding the different parts of the oil spec.

Laycock did in fact state that EP oils must NOT be used. The additives break down with the heat from the clutch and can bung up the oil ways.

However that was many years ago and most EP oils have been refined.

ST did start recommending EP oils in the mid 60's (probably to slow the leaks down)

GL5 oils must not be used were yellow metal exists. This was very true a long while ago.

According to Miller oils their GL5 oil is OK to use anywhere.

However they still have warnings on some of their normal oils - so that's a great help.

Engine oil can be used but steer clear of those oils with a high detergent level. It will froth and may make the OD accumulator stop working.

Thin oils may leak more than thick oils. Thick oils may be more sluggish when cold than thin oils.

Some people swear by ATF - I wouldn't agree with that one though

Also don;t forget that viscocity, SAE rating etc changes with whatever use the oil appears to have.

I like the simple life - gearboxes need gearbox oil. I use the thinner stuff because it keeps my driveway at the house nice and oily

Roger

• 2 weeks later...