Over enthusiastic windscreen wipers.

Knackered parker is a possibility for sure.

I don't see many like that one. In that case it came from the Far-east and the temperature and humidity dissolved the insulation more than happens in UK.

I can fix these parker-caps quite quickly and easily if the insulation has gone.

Thanks for the advice, I finally got around to looking at this yesterday. Took off the top cover (4 screws) and cleaned everything (110 degrees was marked on the gear wheel). No signs of wear or anything loose, so regreased and put back together leaving the 2 screws near the self park cover loose.

I wet the windscreen and rotated the self park cover until it stopped in the right position. Tightened the 2 screws and retested, all seems ok.

I'm wondering if the run-on was due to the speed of the wipers, even when switched off from 'slow', as it wouldn't take much momentum to cross the gap. My wiper movement does seem particularly free. On the occasions when this happened they had been in use for a long period and so probably got more free as the grease loosened up.

I'll see how it how it goes.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wrong about this when I agreed that they park at the FAST speed.

If you have correct switch and have wired it so it does OFF-SLOW-FAST, then the wipers will park SLOW because the two wires will be joined in the OFF position and the parker will supply a ground connection instead of the switch.

They stop dead when you do this correctly but make about a quarter turn if you try to park when running fast.

At least they do when running on the bench. You may get away with it with blades on the screen giving some drag.

2 Speed wiper switch on a 4a works as 1st pull fast and 2nd pull slow same as 5/6 (despite them having a different switch)

Stuart.