That's a pretty uniform set of measurements with these new thicker copper Figure of 8s.

Just to confirm the details, this is after a dry fit with the cylinder head with old head gasket torqued down to 105lb ft, then the head removed and the liners held in place with washers and tubes and torqued down to approx 40 lb ft. Tim, are these measurements taken from a depth micrometre or feeler gauge ? just helps to consider what effect that may have.

Subject to everything being as above I'd be happy to remove liners and have 2 thou ground off the top surface of them. Yes I know 1 thou would be nice but many jobbing engineers would baulk at having to set up within a thou :ie Knob on ! to then grind it off. See how they react when you ask them to set up liner 3 "on the cock" on a surface grinder,(why are all the expressions body related ?) ie with the 6 thou dimension 1 thou higher than the 5 thou. By then removing 2 thou from the top position in only one plane the measured 6 reducing it to 4 and the 1 thou run out only allowing 1 thou to be removed from the 5 thou height, equalising the liner at a 4 thou protrusion which makes the set at 4 thou proud. The liner will need supporting with large surface contact blocks either side of it's diameter to prevent the grinder "spitting" the liner off, unless they can offset in a cylindrical grinder using shims the same way.

Mark up the liners around the circumference at mid height and also the spigots, showing position and orientation in indelible fibre tip. Then refit again dry and confirm they pull down to the same position as previous, but now measuring a uniform 4 thou across the liners. If so then remove and refit with your goo and again retorque down to 105lb ft and again remeasure to make sure debris or grit hasn't been trapped between surfaces.

If the previous liner figures are now recorded at 4 thou then have a large beer and continue with the rebuild.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Thanks, Mick.

The measurements were taken as you describe; they were taken with feelers which is why I'd like to check them again with fresh eyes.

Assuming that all is the same second time around, I'll go ahead with the engineering.

Many thanks for your time on this. I'm looking forward to have earned the beer...

• 4 weeks later...

FYI all: have had major delays due to family from the UK visiting me. However, liners now sitting at an acceptable and even height as detailed above :)

V hot here, so rebuild moving slowly (although it is, at least, now moving). With a bit of luck, I might have it all done by the time I visit the UK next week...

BTW, Tim, did the studs ever come out on your original block at Mark's place? They were soaking when I saw them prior to the TR Alcan adventure...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I didn't get it completed before I went to the UK (only managed to get the pistons back in and the head back on).

However, I got home yesterday so today (in 30 degrees) I finished putting it all back together; rocker gear, manifolds and carbs, new fuel pump (small leak in the old one), sump, fluids (including K-Seal), etc. Run the oil pressure up with the plugs out and then the moment of truth. And the engine runs! So far no leaks, and all sounds normal.

So, I've earned my beer!! No Champagne yet, because I've only done a quick run to the shop and back (to get beer). Assuming that all seems well over the next couple of days, I'll give it a proper 3-hour run on Friday (and back on Sunday). Might need a re-torque by then...

Hopefully I'll have one last update to this thread once I've done a few hundred miles. In the meantime, MANY MANY thanks to everyone for your expertise and encouragement - what a great resource this Forum is.

Cheers,

Tim

Edit: PS: Don, apologies; I rather impolitely didn't reply to your question: Actually, I don't know!! I must give Mark a call and see how he got on...

Edited by TorontoTim
  • 2 weeks later...

Just under 600 miles now completed on this rebuild; re-torque carried out (very little movement) and everything looking good despite some pretty hot temperatures (in the mid-30's).

Champagne is in the 'fridge...

Now for the actual list of jobs I had planned for over the summer :unsure:

+1 if you do not slacken off (just enough to move the nut) then when re torqueing you have to overcome static friction rather than dynamic friction.

In other words the wrench will most likely click before the nut moves at all, whereas when slackened (a tiny bit) then re-tightened, the nut is moving as you come up to the required torque.

Bob.