TR4A Fascia Ventilation Grille - Removal

The plastic ventilation grille at either end of the dashboard on a TR4A appears to be a push-on fit using little friction clips. This is unlike a TR4 grille, which is screwed on. Does anyone know if it simply pulls off these friction clips? I have tried some gentle persuasion with no joy, but do not want to break the grille in the process as there are no new ones available. Has anyone taken theirs off and can advise on best way to do this? Hopefully someone has and can let me know one way or another

Hi Chas,

welcome to the forum.

Items 14 and 17 are the little devils http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/interior/dashboards-consoles/dash-fascia-tr4-4a.html

Remove the wooden dash, pop the clips off and the grille should follow.

Push the clips off the grille rather than pulling the grille of the clips.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I can now see the little blighters! I can see pushing them off is easier, but not so sure that refitting them will be easy!

Be aware, that Moss have the same part number for the 4 and the 4A (items 16 and 17on their diagram), but what you get is the spire nut for the 4. They cannot find the right clip and I will need to send them a photo of one of my clips in the hope they can source them. I will need to be careful not to lose the ones i take off!

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

fitting shouldn't be too difficult. Make a J shaped gadget that will hold the clip and then simply pull into place.

Something similar to fitting the clips of the door weather strips.

Roger

Yes Charlie, Roger is quite right (as usual!). The clips push off quite easily and are just as easily replaced by sitting them

snugly in a j shaped tool and pulling them gently onto the grille from behind. when I fitted my new dash a few years ago I took the opportunity of removing these grilles so I could repaint the inside of the vent ducts, which were looking a bit tatty.

Tim