Obviously you need to do the re-enforcements at the front lower inner suspension boxes plus rack mounts and then the diff pin boxing in and re-enforcing plates on the top mounts for those pins too. That should help.

Stuart.

If its an original unrestored one then I suggest you take the "T" shirt off as it will be rotten behind it.

Stuart.

Hi Mark,

as Stuart mentions, the T shirt area can go rather rotten.

It is not water tight on the inside (in fact any side) and there is no protection between the layers.

Look at the flat areas of the T shirt and see if there are any humps or bumps. Even the slightest bump will indicate rusting going on.

It will be much easier to repair with the chassis upside down. I did it two years ago from underneath and it was an interesting exercise.

Roger

Hi Mark,

not sure the official thickness but I would go for 14 or 12SWG. That should spread the load quite nicely.

On your TR4A, have you got the horseshoe bridge that protrudes forwards from the rear bridge section and above the T shirt. - this should give it some good stiffness.

The TR6 chassis does not have this. It does have an upper T shirt panel tho'.

Roger

I use 3mm plate for re-enforcings which is strong enough. If your chassis is any good internally then you shouldnt get any twist. I can jack my 4a up on any corner and still open and close the doors no problem after 22 years.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart