Hi, I understand a recommended mod is to replace the TR4 spring clutch with the 4A diaphragm type. What benefits does this have? I have read that the flywheel will need drilling and tapping for the different cover plate fixings and dowels, are there any other mods needed? will the feel at the pedal be lighter with the change, or same? I am thinking of refurbishing the original spring clutch or getting a new replacement, but if these later diaphragm clutches are noticeably better, then I may discount originality.

Many Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I changed my clutch from spring to diaphragm a couple of years ago , as the gearbox was out anyway.

The action is much lighter, something I wanted. I was lucky having fellow Kent group member who could do the grilling and get the flywheel balanced.

Pete cox did the necessary mods to the thrust bearing carrier and I'm rally pleased with it.

Cheers,

Trevor

Hi Rob,

the pedal action is usually a little lighter, but the old spring clutches work well enough, nothing wrong with them . . . . .

You can get them properly reconditioned at reasonable cost - http://www.precisionclutch.co.uk/ - and speak to Simon.

Good bloke, and an old pal, he looks after TR drivers. . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Alec,

Good contact. I have since seen other references to Precision Clutches and have called them to discuss. Very helpful. Am planning a trip South West next week. I will stick with the spring clutch for now as their cost for re-conditioning the one I have was quoted at a very reasonable £45. Will save me having to drill and tap the flywheel too.

Many Thanks,

Rob