More brake squealing

Chris, have you tried cleaning the dust out of the drums?

Pete[/quote

Hi Pete, yes have been cleaned out not that long ago when replacing shoe retaining pins with a better design which will not fall out!

Only thing I'm not sure of is the origin of the shoes. If I Replace them does anyone know which are best for normal road use?

Thanks Chris

• 1 year later...

Monty, I had a squeal problem with 1144 pads on my 4A. I tried everything to cure this but without success. It was really embarrassing round town, people looked at me as if I had metal to metal contact! I fitted Ferodo DS Performance Pads ( FER 167 from www.burtonpower.com) three years ago and after bedding them in properly can report that the only time I hear a slight squeal now is when they are cold and I brake when reversing -- I can live with that. If you have original calipers bear in mind that the pads I mentioned are to fit 70s Ford models and you will need to enlarge the holes in the pads to accommodate the slightly larger diameter imperial retaining pins for your calipers. This took me a few minutes with a rat tail file. The Ferodo pads are excellent, if anything they have better bite from cold that the 1144s and I haven't yet made them fade on the road.

Tim

Hi Folks,

my 'GreenStuff' pads were becoming very dull. They stopped the car but with no interest at all.

So I bit the bullet and ordered a set of FER167 as per Tim's post above.

Oddly the Burton website would never display these pads and always defaulted to FDS167 - I can only assume they are the same/similar.

Anyway, they arrived yesterday but the weather was icky, so I had to wait overnight to fit them (just like Christmas Eve)

Today the weather was playing the game and so I leapt in to fitting these stoppers.

The first thing I found was that the GreenStuff were very well worn and the NS brake had a seized piston (it wouldn't pull back until I took the caliper off).

No problems fitting them except to open the pin holes out a little as mentioned by Tim.

The test drive and bedding was reassuringly uneventful.

I did the short bedding in routine and then tried a couple of more enthusiastic stops - believe it or not it stopped.

My first impression is that they are slightly better in the breaking department - a little bit more grip.

A long wet/hot/hilly run should give something to report on.

Roger

Ferodo FRS 167 are the standard material & FDB 167 are the premier pad , from my own experience

FRS can be prone to squeal in some of my customers cars, when replaced with FDB premier pads squeal

completely gone. I have always put brake squeal down to the discs vibrating at there resonant frequency

( like rubbing your wet finger tip around a wine glass rim) , no amount of brake assembly or copper grease

seams to stop squeal. Mintex supply an anti-squeal pad for the back of the brake pads which I have

found to be very successful. From memory Rolls Royce persevered with drum brakes long after other

manufactures had changed to discs until they could be absolutely certain there discs would not be

prone to any squeal. I know many of you will have your own theories regarding squeal.

Harvey S. Maitland

My squealing brakes turned out to unsuitable Mintex material (1144). I tried all the different anti-squeal shims etc but to no avail. As soon as I put in Mintex more standard 1109 material pads the squealing immediately ceased & no real decrease in braking occurred. The only casualty was a gap in my wallet for 1144 pads. Waste of money!

Squealing can alswo be caused by the retaining pins being too tight. Open the holes out. They only need to stop the pads flying out.

Roger

Dont relieve them by anything more than is absolutely needed or you will end up with another rattle you cant find!

Stuart.