Tr4a rear suspension

Hello everyone,

I am currently restoring a 1967 TR4a and have recently taken the body off the chassis. Upon inspection, I have noticed that the body tub had been in contact with the central bridge around the area where the coil springs are.

The result is that I have two crushed seal edges which are repairable but I would like some ideas on how this may have happened ?

Could it be weak springs or failed suspension units ( I think they are the original ones , no mods to the suspension or chassis )

As I am now in a position to replace faulty units with relative ease I would appreciate some direction as to a possible culprit ??

thanks

Martin

Trying hard to work out what the 'seal edges' are that you say are crushed. (fail)

The chassis to body spacers should have kept things a safe distance apart.

But on mine the main rust in the chassis was under the the "T" shirt area, and Moss and others put out reinforcing kits for the chassis round that area for refurbishers.

Do you think you could have a bit of chassis sag somehwere in that region?

Edited by littlejim

It's a classic symptom of a weak chassis breaking its back. You may find tears in the body adjacent to the bump stops...

He conclusion is he chassis needs heavy repairs or replacement. Any bracing of the body before removal will be useless as the body is already bent.

None of this is the end of the world. Just start with a solid chassis and build the body up with the doors n wings hung...use shims to get the gaps right...

Thanks for the replies, and there was I hoping it was a failed spring !! hey ho

I can see one of the rear legs has been heavily and poorly repaired in the past and the two outriggers holding the IRS need replacing but the rest of the chassis seems solid. Yes there is a small tear in the tub on the inner wheel arch

Presumably a "bent body" can be addressed with shims when it is returned to the chassis ?

If you don't get the back half back into it's proper place then you will have the usual poor fit of the door edge to the rear wing.

Put the doors back in and bend the rear-half back up.

It will be easier to do this now rather than mess about later to try and get the wings and door to fit.

If you don't get the back half back into it's proper place then you will have the usual poor fit of the door edge to the rear wing.

Put the doors back in and bend the rear-half back up.

It will be easier to do this now rather than mess about later to try and get the wings and door to fit.

Only any good when you have a straight not rotten chassis or you will be wasting your time.

Stuart.

Hi Martin,

The body is pretty floppy, so it will conform to whatever chassis/shims you put under it. best concentrate on getting the chassis strong & straight. full target dimensions are in the manual.

Presumably a "bent body" can be addressed with shims when it is returned to the chassis ?

Thanks again for your time and advice,

I'm just stripping the chassis at the moment and will take some measurements to check the extent of the damage. I would like to keep the chassis to keep the car as original as possible but I may have to get a replacement in the end

cheers

Martin