Hi there was something else i would need a little advice on regarding starter solenoid.

whilst i was turning the engine over at the weekend to try and build oil pressure up

the starter solenoid appeared to be stuck on.The only way i could stop was to remove

battery leads.The solenoid is new which i brought from stoneleigh from TR shop.

The brown wire was connected to the large terminal and red/white to the smaller

terminal.The starter motor cable connected up and the battery cable.Is it just a

faulty sticking solenoid issue or is something not connected as should be?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Nige

Hi Nigel

I would suspect a faulty starter solenoid. I always try and obtain a used or NOS part if I can (they weren't made in China for one thing!) You can probably find one on EBay, and if the rubber tit has perished you can buy them new from usual places.

Regards

Kevin

Give it a good dosing with a suitable freeing agent line Plus Gas to see if it frees up. I have rescued a few in my time with this method.

Once you are happy it works correctly and the external manual button does not stick or jam. Give it a brush externally with a brass wire brush to remove grot and other residues.

- Then it looks like a bought one.

Peter W

Hi Graham

I havnt got the ignition switch connected up yet so just using the button on solenoid to turn engine over.

Might just have look inside first before buying another.It did work correctly when i banged the outer

casing with a srewdriver few times then failed again.

Cheers

Nige

Hi Nige,

I'm not sure you can look inside without destroying the solenoid.

As for operating it electrically -

simply run a wire from Battery + to the small spade fitting where the red/white wire normally goes. I think this was mentioned previously.

Roger

Hi Nige,

I'm not sure you can look inside without destroying the solenoid.

Roger

I think it could be done, I have done a tractor one before now - it was similar construction. I have also done an original TR 3 one, it involved removing the swaged over end, dismantling, cleaning up the contacts with a smooth file, the re-assembling using araldite to hold the end plate in place - on the car now, & working well.

Bob.

If the solenoid jams ON the starter will keep going until....

the main battery cables catch fire and/or the battery goes flat or the starter motor burns out.

If you have fitted a battery isolator switch, turning it off would save the cables etc if the solenoid jammed ON.

Fit a replacement solenoid for peace of mind, unless you feel confident to delve inside it.

Peter W