Hi,

I have one tappet (No 6) noisier than the rest. All are set, and checked at 10 thou when cold.

The tapping increases with engine revs. Is this likely to be a problem apart from the noise?

The sound is reduced if this tappet is set to 8 thou, but at what risk of damage?

Any suggestions / comments please.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Probably be a good idea to establish that you have good even oil feed along the shaft, and make sure no oil ways are blocked with an airline. You might find the shaft itself is worn allowing the rocker to tilt in operation, hence opening the gap. New shafts are obtainable from Moss/ Revington etc.

Also check the surface of the rocker where it touches the valve stem for wear. These can be resurfaced but might be easier to fit another if worn.

I'm assuming that the valve Spring is intact and returning properly.

Measure tha valve lift on all the others and compare it to the noisy one. I had this symptom and it was a well worn lobe on valve number one. It was obvious when I noticed it as the lifting anything like as much as the others.

Edited by peejay4A