OD Solenoid Operation Question

OD is not working. I have a new solenoid, connected to the positive wire under the car from the harness. Connected the negative terminal on the solenoid to a dedicated wire to the negative battery terminal as I read that insufficient ground can cause it to click, but not operate. Also... since my solenoid is not marked, how is one to determine pos/neg? So in third gear, ignition on, I operate the OD switch down. The unit clicks, and I see the plunger move, but NOT much.

How much should it move? What should I see? Shouldn't I see the aluminum end of the rod pass the outermost hole?

Thanks in advance

So thinking the solenoid is a coil... It doesn't matter beg/pos? So... I tested directly ( momentarily) to the batt, both ways. The plunger extends both ways... So it obviously cannot extend far... Shouldn't the solenoid upon being charged pull IN?

Hi DC,

what's you name?

What type of solenoid do you have.

The 'A' type has one wire which is normally 12V+. Fitted to the car the plunger is set to a certain position and when operated the plunger moves a fair bit.

With the solenoid off the car the plunger can move in and will only move a small amount - the distance of the internal micro switch.

A poor earth may stop it working but if it pulls in initially it would probably stay in as it required much less current in the final position.

Have you checked the wiring loom, relay (if you have one) and the switch etc.

Not sure about the 'J' type. It looks more complicated.

Roger

Dane

Is it a new problem?

Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox? If it's too low the od will not engage.

Edited by peejay4A

Dane, wiring is as it should be so not that. The rod doesn't move much from memory so sounds like something else. Did the OD work before and any symptoms before it stopped.

Nothing external moves on the J-type IIRC - it's a pilot valve rather than a physical actuator. However, there is usually a bit of the click when powered on and off and if you look closely at the holes in the business end you should be able to see an internal plunger move.

You might find this useful if you've not seen it before. The bit about the solenoid is near the bottom of the page

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/jod/JOD1/JOD1.htm

Nick

Thanks guys.... So i am familiar with the plunger inside the solenoid... And i can see in the holes... But i dont see much movement at all and its moving out.... I thought it was to move in. The solenoid i had failed... Testing per buckeye and then just testing a

Rremoved show the solenoid wasnt working.