Not a good night!

Took my car out tonight and was having a super drive although it took a while for all eight cylinders to come on song. Nearly at the pub after a fifteen mile drive when there was a bang and a splutter and we came to a stop.

unusually for me I didn't have any tools with me so had to call the AA who were with me in about twenty minutes so that wasn't too bad.

We have a spark but it's a bit weak so swapped the coil over with my spare from the boot - still no good - seem to have a lack of volts at the coil, some but not many.

Any suggestions?

1979 TR8 with strombergs with auto chokes.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by TR8IAN

Thanks Pete and John,

The car is running a Lucas 35 DE8 distributor and I have been recently seeing a problem on start up where I don't have the benefit of all eight cylinders at start up and a slow to start rev counter.

I have a spare distributor and ballast unit so it's probably worth giving that a go at the weekend.

Cheers

Ian

If you are using the existing wiring there are lots of plugs and sockets feeding the supply to the coil. Its worth cleaning these up as they have a habit of corroding and causing problems supplying the coil.

Regards,

Dave

I'm sure that you've already done it but some of these electronic Ignition systems are a little "old fashioned", I'd start at the battery, if the alternator cant maintain a charge in the battery 12.7 volts ish some of these older electronic systems misbehave..a little like the old Boyer systems on Triumph Motorcycles. Before I did anything though I would check that the battery is showing 12.4 volts minimum and that that is being maintained with the engine running. As I say I'm sure that you've already done it but in the event that you haven't?

Cheers

Bonnietiler

Cheers Bonnietiler,

It would appear that there has been some resistance in the wiring and connectors on the ballast resistor which has fried the resistor.

I am re-making all the connections and cleaning everything, It would appear that there are two types of ballast resistors available for the TR8 and all the spares I have are all incorrect.

Hopefully Rimmer's who list the right one will reply to my enquiry on Monday morning so I can put it back all nice and sparkly next week.

The battery is showing a healthy voltage and doesn't drop much under test.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

you could do worse than copy Tom's trick of encasing those connections in hot melt glue, rather like a fly caught in amber, which does help keep them free from moisture and therefore corrosion.

Big blob of hot melt then mould it with your pinkies as it cools . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Alec,

Yes that's a great idea that I have used quite a lot before - including on my recently sold Peugeot when the headlight unit suffered an Ian attack with an air saw!

Must get hold of Tom, still haven't picked up the screen trim.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...