fm radio with usb input and 12v output socket

Hi

I'm looking for something that will give me fm radio, with a usb input for mp3, and a 12v output socket for charging a satnav, and a speaker or two.
Radio and other stuff needs to fit in the H frame ( current hole is 19cm by 6cm). Speaker probably under the dash somewhere unless I can find a nice vintage one to go between the seats on the transmission tunnel.

Any suggestions?

Dave

====

Yep, a straight one: with all the hardware and ancillaries that accumulates, the wiring getting entangled around the gear stick; switch knobs and your legs, etc... Fit the core radio unit in the glove box, stick the navigator on the door of the glove box and run the cabling behind the dash and the center console.

Edited by Geko

I have an Alpine UTE72b

has front usb to charge phone / satnav etc, is also bluetooth and comrs with mic for handfree, should the other party want to listen to wind noise! ... and you can buy an optional remote control

Edited by McMuttley

If you don't want to chop the "H" frame around you could try Retro Sound, or put spindle fit car stereo in to Google, I was looking at do this myself but engine woes have put that back a bit. Be interested to know how you get on.

David C

I have an Alpine UTE72b

has front usb to charge phone / satnav etc...

Further to Austin's point, Dave, does your satnav *require* 12V input? Many times they'll run from a 5V USB -- my old Garmin, does -- although they may not charge and run at the same time. 12V is usually offered because it matches powerpoints in so many vehicles. Your task may be simpler than you think.

Further to Don's point above, many modern radios have USB sockets on them (& card sockets as well, I have such a radio in my Jeep.

I use the card socket for music, & the USB is quite capable of providing power for phone chargers, & satnav charging.

Bob.

.....and of course an iphone (or ipad) with the free ROI satnav ap makes a very good low voltage satnav (data plan allowing)

Thanks everybody.

That Alpine unit looks to do everything I need, and launch things to the moon as well. Don't really want to chop the frame around though. Did you have to do that Austin, or will it fit somehow in the existing hole?

I'll have to check out the satnav power. It was given to me and I've never used it, just assumed it was 12v as every one I've ever seen has been plugged into the cigarette lighter.

cheers

Dave

==

Hi Dave

As mine is in a 3a, it is mounted into one of these, which sits on the tunnel just beyond the gear lever

IMG_5182_zpsbe0d1f07.jpg

I'll have to check out the satnav power. It was given to me and I've never used it, just assumed it was 12v as every one I've ever seen has been plugged into the cigarette lighter.

cheers

Dave

==

The "plug" which goes into the cigar socket would normally contain a regulator to drop the voltage to 5V. The test for this is that if the "12V plug" has a mini USB plug on the other end, which plugs into the same socket on the satnav as a data USB cable, then it requires 5V to charge it. So you can simply use the data USB lead plugged into the radio USB socket to charge.

Bob.

HI Dave, give the Retro sound a good look. Fitted a Zuma in my 4 last year. Easy to fit and you can get a number of face plates and knobs to suit your style and has USB socket and an extension that can be used to locate it in the glove box.

I also purchase a hidden aerial that sits behind the rear view mirror and is very discreet.

No cutting or drilling required, only a standard face plate that takes the radio and fits between H frame and dash. Purchased from a member on this forum.

Did also get some plans from a member to make my own, but the bending required was tooooooo much for the tools I had available so had to buy one in the end, but top quality so money well spent.

Ordered radio from Ray Smith Audio on the Web.

Mark

Hi Dave, I fitted a Retro Sound to my TR4 last year and found it easy to fit and a good quality product. The one I have has leads that take headphone output leads or USB connections for memory cards or other electrical items like MP3 . The output is good enough for me to hear it over the engine noise and the speaker outputs can be arranged to take a variety of speaker combinations. In addition, the front controls have different width settings to allow you to make the fit snug into the H frame and the company does a range of facia/knob options to suit different ages of car.

Mark

Thanks all.

I'll have a look at the retro sound.

Dave

====

I've got a Retro sound unit. Ok to fit but I'm not that impressed. A bit fiddly to use and v expensive compared to other offerings. I find the tuner is a bit **** - regardless of aerial used. No option to turn it to mono with FM reception so really infuriating hiss can't be lessened- forced to listen to 5 Live on MW instead!

Bob

• 9 months later...

I'm considering fitting a radio to my 4A and am considering either getting an old radio rebuilt with FM and phone connection (or Bluetooth), or buying something like the RetroSound. I'm concerned at reliability with the latter as commented above but wonder if anyone has used this http://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/classic-car-stereos/autosound-classic-car-stereo/ccs-spindle-mount-dab-radio/ which is not too bad looking What are they like for reliability and what's a DIN-D size?

The advantage of that model is that it seemingly has everything DAB/DAB+/ FM RDS / Bluetooth / USB / Aux in / iPhone compatible radio. Just waiting for it to make me a cup of tea as well.

I like the idea of fitting speakers in the kidney panels like on the TR6 http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/radios-equipment.html but accept it will not give the best sound. Such panels enables the use of these to place my electric fan over-ride and possible a cigarette / power outlet socket into as well. I have MX5 seats but they're the Mk2 with detachable head rests so do not have integral speakers.

As to aerials, I don't want to drill a hole in my nice bodywork so wonder if anyone has had any success with any of these:

http://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/antennas-aerials/funline-am-fm-disc-antenna/ AM / FM disc

http://www.chromelondon.com/underbody-chassis-aerial-antenna-new--universal-3598-p.asp under body aerial

http://www.tadpoleradios.co.uk/RadiosForSale.aspx?Sel=Accessories windscreen aerial, also commonly seen on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RMA819-Internal-Glass-Windscreen-Mount-Amplified-Aerial-/150342693048?hash=item23011f70b8&_trkparms=72:2109%7C66:2%7C65:12%7C39:1%7C240:1318%7C301:1%7C293:1%7C294:50&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2054436.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhidden+car+aerial.TRS0&_nkw=hidden+car+aerial&_sacat=0 supposedly hidden car aerial

But from the limited amount I've read the DAB would need a separate aerial. https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/car-radio-dab-aerials-antenna.html

Paul

Hi Paul,

I can't imagine the underbody aeriel working at all well, but I haven't tried it.

Some of the window sticker ones work OK.

I also didn't want to drill holes in the body. I used a Halfords aerial that normally attaches to the windscreen frame side member.

I attached its to the rear offside bumper iron bracket and fed the cable through. It always worked well.

Last year I removed the radio as I needed to install some switches. Haven't missed the radio much at all.

Roger