In twenty years of 4A ownership, I'm sure I've changed a few fan belts, but today I'm in strife.

Whilst out, the 4A threw its fan belt. No worries, I have a spare. If only I could get it on.....

The clearance between the fan extension and the main cross member of the steering unit is only 2mm. The belt itself is 11mm thick.

I've tried lifting the engine on the mounts to see if that will give me some clearance, but it won't give me enough. Now I have the radiator and cowl out, with a view to pulling the fan extension off in the morning. All to fit a fan belt? I sense that I am doing something wrong here, or am at least missing a fundamental point. What is it?

Obviously I am yet to inspect the (aluminium) fan extension, but to get 11mm clearance I'd have to machine an unreasonable 18mm off it's diameter, so don't see that as a solution. Is there a steel (?) after market extension?

I'm running an aluminium radiator and an electric fan, but retain the original fan because I understand that it is also the harmonic balancer. So what have I done wrong here?

thanks in advance....

JFerg

Hi, (what does the |'J' stand for)

the engine is almost certainly collapsing the engine mounts - replace with Land Rover parts - have a look here - www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk

These are similar to TR4 mounts but better.

You could simply undo the engine mount nuts - this would allow the engine to raise slightly.

You can put spacers under the engine mounts to give better clearance.

When you have fitted the belt consider fitting another one that is tied out of the way for a quick fit if needed.

The fan needs to be balanced but is not really a harmonic balancer for the crank. I would remove it unless you do a lot of slow heavy traffic motoring.

Roger

Thanks, Roger.

Since posting earlier I have been into my books. The workshop manual is silent on clearances and fan belt changes, but Roger Williams' "How to restore Triumph TR4 and TR4A" refers to a minimum of clearance between fan extension and rack, and the need to lift the engine for a belt change, so I am not entirely alone. However, when lifting the engine until the wheels came up, I still had insufficient clearance.

I'd already planned to tie a spare belt in there, and I'll do that. I'll also have a look at the front engine mounts; but since they didn't stretch to give me clearance, I suspect that they're ok. Or just wrong completely.....

thanks for your valuable inputs, Roger. It really helps.

cheers,

John Ferguson

Make sure the engine mounts if they are the later 4a type are fitted in the right orientation as I came across one the other day with the mounts aligned horizontally which 1 would not allow the engine to be jacked up at all and 2 if they failed would allow the engine to slide forwards or backwards with dire results!

Stuart.

I would not disturb the fan extension unless you intend to ditch it and get a narrow belt conversion with a damped pulley. I have run like this for over 15 years and electric fan hardly ever comes on.

Rather than removing the extension of you want to refit the wide belt do as suggested else where and remove the engine mount nuts to allow it to lift.

Make sure the engine mounts if they are the later 4a type are fitted in the right orientation as I came across one the other day with the mounts aligned horizontally which 1 would not allow the engine to be jacked up at all and 2 if they failed would allow the engine to slide forwards or backwards with dire results!

Stuart.

Having never owned a TR4A, I was not aware of that one.

Very clever of the factory.

Almost as clever as making an exhaust manifold gasket

that can be fitted 90º out, thereby significantly reducing

the exhaust flow.

AlanR

While replacing the engine mounts years ago, I added a 4mm shim on either side in order to increase the clearance between the fan extension and the steering rack. I did succeed to remove the fan belt once (with a bit of pushing/pulling) with that system but i'm afraid that now that the mounts have settled down it wont be possible anymore. I believe that in doubling that thickness it should no problem.

post-11469-0-56130300-1460973017_thumb.jpg

Having never owned a TR4A, I was not aware of that one.

Very clever of the factory.

Almost as clever as making an exhaust manifold gasket

that can be fitted 90º out, thereby significantly reducing

the exhaust flow.

AlanR

They were known as "Fail safe mountings" Which if fitted the right way is true if not......................

Stuart.

the engine is almost certainly collapsing the engine mounts - replace with Land Rover parts - have a look here - www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk

You could simply undo the engine mount nuts - this would allow the engine to raise slightly.

You can put spacers under the engine mounts to give better clearance.

When you have fitted the belt consider fitting another one that is tied out of the way for a quick fit if needed.

The fan needs to be balanced but is not really a harmonic balancer for the crank. I would remove it unless you do a lot of slow heavy traffic motoring.

Roger

Land Rover Nos either NRC2053 or NRC2054 they are both the same thickness but different external diameters. And have metric threads....

Peter W

PS I am not sure what NTC5890 is as far as dimensions compared to TR4/4A engine mounts. Worth 2 quid to check it out I guess.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

A trick here is to fit two fan belts at the same time, wrap the second belt in cling film and cable tie it to the engine front plate (looped behind the front pulley) so it's ready to slip in place when your newly replaced fan belt gives up the ghost, the ones available these days really don't seem to last very long.

Cheers Rob

Roger

Roger

John Richards lists 2 engine mountings - do you know which is the right/best one please - NRC 2054 is 55mm in diameter and 32mm thick, and NTC 5890 is 75mm in diameter and 37mm thick.

The larger sounds like it should be better but don't want to create other problems unknowingly - really good price at £2.00 each!

Cheers

Rich