The most basic problem....not starting.

An update on this saga.

Following a visit to Steve C's workshop this weekend where we did a leakdown test....passed, and a rough head level straightedge test...Passed.

I fitted a new head gasket today in the full expectation that this would cure my woes, you know whats coming next.

Result compression increased by a massive 2 lbs per sq in. number 1 = 132 2= 172 3=172 4= 170.

Re checked all the valve clearances so nice and tidy at 10 thou. and tried a start, probably not a good idea, though the engine turns over nicely without plugs in with all the plugs in it turns over very heavily and gets worse the longer I operate the starter, to the point where I am getting worried about causing damage.

It is possible the I may have moved the distributor and in so doing have messed up the timing ...again, as I hadn't properly tightened it down prior to setting the gaps, (stupid boy) Will sort that out first, then I will panic. Then I will have another coffee, Then I'll probably start taking the seats out the carpet up the ............................what a bu**er.

Any further thoughts gratefully received David

Hi David,

I hope that you are making progress. At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, now that you have checked the items above, I'd go back to basics and work through both fuel and ignition step-by-step from the beginning (once you've charged the battery ;) ).

Set the carbs up to a basic setting; check fuel is being pumped successfully; check that the float chambers are filling nicely; check that the choke cable does what it is supposed to do (enrich the mix, open the throttle); make sure you don't have old, nonvolatile fuel in the tank.

Make sure that timing is not 180 degrees out (easy to do - pull plug #1, remove the dizzy cap, put your finger over the plug hole and make sure that you feel the pressure from compression when the rotor arm points where HT lead #1 would be); check spark at the plug (and that the engine is properly earthed) ; check points gap and timing; etc.

Good luck - and remember, we've ALL been here at some point... Let us know how you get on!!

Tim

Hi David, doesn't sound good. Compression at cyl 1 is okish and may suggest gripped/cocked valve stem/seat or shot rings but it's not a major issue. I would investigate the engine guts now with fear for crankshaft and conrods problems.