Buy/Sell/Trade. 3A parts For Sale on Register Website..

I'm slowly clearing out my stocks of surplus sidescreen TR parts. Everything is For Sale from a top grade 3A gearbox to a new front grille, new Lucas screenwash bottle, new vent lid, new BL badges to pre-used fuel tank, door-handles, badges etc. More parts to follow.

They're a click away here on Buy/Sell/Trade, btw our club's website has a far superior rate of successful sales for my TR parts than the dreaded eBay.

Happy TR-ing,

Pat.

Memb No; 2110.

post-5294-0-69361700-1455473757_thumb.jpg

I'd respectfully suggest that any gearbox that has been stored for 30 years ought to be stripped, cleaned, derusted and then put back together again with new seals (and probably new bearings too) before being considered for regular use . . . . .

Any 'box that has been sitting around for decades needs a thorough overhaul before fitting - unless the new owner wishes to invite a costly disaster.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec,

an interesting observation from you & of course it's up to any purchaser of any item what they do with their purchase.

Re. the strength of the TR2/3/3A non-o/d gearbox; In May 2014 one of our club members emailed me to say he'd 'lost' First & Reverse gears on his TR3. With a few events coming up that he wanted to attend in his TR3 could I help him. In a corner of my garage I had a 'rat' TR gearbox I had taken from a dismantled 1960 TR3A back in the mid-seventies. I knew it would be of use some day, I gave him the gearbox pro-bono & wished him happy TR-ing. As of today this gearbox is still in his TR3 & behaving itself too. All our club member did was pressure-wash the exterior & put fresh EP90 oil into the box. He's taken his TR3 with this 'rat' box fitted to foreign shores without a hiccup.

My thoughts generally are; If it aint broke don't fix it.

Happy TR-ing,

Pat.

Hi Pat,

that's a fine tribute to TR boxes !! :rolleyes:

I do agree with not fixing what ain't broke, excellent principle.

In recent years I've seen a couple of boxes that changed hands, both came from TR men I'd trust implicitly - and that the boxes were fine when removed I wouldn't have doubted for a moment.

Nevertheless, both suffered a rapid demise when pressed back into service, and the evidence when drained and opened was all too clear to see - rust had formed as the oil film succumbed to age and gravity, and presumably a touch of condensation here and there, net result being iron oxide grinding paste suspended in the oil. Good stuff for chewing bearings, and for blocking valves I'd reckon - both boxes were o/d equipped. Less to go wrong in a standard box of course, but if it were me I'd still press some modest folding into Pete Cox's mitt and ask him to refresh the 'box ! :D

Cheers

Alec