Timming cover

Billy, It screws into a cast aluminium bridge piece that covers the front main bearing cap. Thread may have gone. To cure it properly means dropping the sump and replacing the bridge piece - I think steel ones are available. Peter

I fixed one by drilling out to the next size up and retapping the hole then fitting a larger screw. Steel replacement blocks are available but I can't recall for the moment who does them.

The steel ones come from USA:

https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?productID=489

Not sure about helicoiling the ali bridge, a new one might be quickest:

eg http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-151134

Pter

The bottom bolt on the timming cover will not tighten down has any one got any help on how to solve the problem thanks billy

As others have said its the alloy block bridging the front of the block over #1 Main Bearing, the thread will have stripped as it needs far less torque than the ones onto the steel (although I think the manual fails to identify this). The bridge piece can be replaced by droping the sump. Jigsaw Racing in the UK make steel replacements I have one and they are good.

http://www.jigsawracingservices.co.uk/development.htm

However as a temporary fix that has worked for me and others, find an M8 Screw, cut it to the correct length "don't use an over long one otherwise you will have worse problems" The tapping in the alloy block is UNF (silly idea) a M8 screw is fractionally bigger and a corser thread, very often you will find that one of these will cut its own thread and pull the cover down nicely and prevent a leak. Don't over tighten!

If this cures the leak then this will normally be fine until the point where you need to drop the sump for another reason, at which point replace the block with a steel one.

Alan

I fitted several of the Jigsaw steel blocks.

They had been around 33 Euros, worth every Euro

because every block I removed was not plain!

Bought some over WWW and met them at Stoneleigh.

Also a clubmate made them earlier but for that price its

better to buy them ready to fit.

Reason to use them always was a lost thread like posted above.

It was a going through hole and I dont know if that is normal.

Anyway we connected the breather to the compressed air

opened to 0.5 bars and let go.

Than we retapped to 5/16 where the small parts of material are

blown out of the hole. The car with that remedy is still in use.