Baffle plate color ?

Body color with over spray on the seal.

Thanks. Here is what the TRA judging guide says so the finish may have changed over time. I think I will go with body color but leave off the overspray.

VII. Wheel Arches and Underbody Panelling

A. The wheelarches of sidecurtain TRs were sprayed in body colors, including the bulkhead sealer plates and

rubber seals on cars fitted with PVC wing beading. Later cars may have had these attached later in assembly

and finished in black paint and left natural, respectively. In addition, a thin spray of Waxoyl or other similar

types of undercoating has been found running along the underside seam between the fenders and inner

wheelarch sections of the main body tub. This has mostly been encountered on TR3As. Make no deductions

for the presence or absence of this undercoating.

My car is a Dec 1956 production and the panel and seal were both painted blue as the car was .Did not know they did it differently on the later cars. If you are going to have the car judged at a Concours event you may what them painted black.

No plans for entering Concours with this amateur job. Is your 56 also Powder Blue ?

Stan

Panel in body colour and seal unpainted, When fitting the seal use some non setting sealer to go round the edge of the seal to the wing especially at the top corners as the shaped piece on the top very rarely conforms to the shape of the wing and also apply some to the edge of the plate and round each bolt hole on the back side. You dont want any water getting in behind it.

Stuart.

Panel in body colour and seal unpainted, When fitting the seal use some non setting sealer to go round the edge of the seal to the wing especially at the top corners as the shaped piece on the top very rarely conforms to the shape of the wing and also apply some to the edge of the plate and round each bolt hole on the back side. You dont want any water getting in behind it.

Stuart.

Thanks, does the sealing plate and seal go on before the wing is attached or can it be correctly installed with the wing in place ?

Stan

I normally fit them after as there is a bit of wriggle room on the plate holes so you can snug it as much as possible against the wing. It is a fiddle to fit the plates that retain the top seal but I find if you pre-drill the holes and rivet the plate through the rubber when the main plate is in then its a bit easier. Use a small hooked rod to bias the top of the top rubber forward as you push it up into place too.(You will understand what I mean when you are fitting it.) Its a messy job with the sealer round your ears while you have your head up under the arch but you can smooth the sealer in better. Dont forget to put some Waxoyl or whatever in behind before you seal it up.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I normally fit them after as there is a bit of wriggle room on the plate holes so you can snug it as much as possible against the wing. It is a fiddle to fit the plates that retain the top seal but I find if you pre-drill the holes and rivet the plate through the rubber when the main plate is in then its a bit easier. Use a small hooked rod to bias the top of the top rubber forward as you push it up into place too.(You will understand what I mean when you are fitting it.) Its a messy job with the sealer round your ears while you have your head up under the arch but you can smooth the sealer in better. Dont forget to put some Waxoyl or whatever in behind before you seal it up.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. These are turning out to be a bit of a project as the new ones are just a flat sheet of steel so I need to bend them to fit first before I paint them.

Stan

They always turn up like that as its 1. Easy to ship and 2. not all cars are the same, they are easy to bend but I would do a dry fit first of the plate with the seal as you may find the plates will need a trim up the wing side as you have replaced the lower wing sections, the side seal will also need a bit of fine trimming at the bottom where the wing lower return is.

Stuart.

They always turn up like that as its 1. Easy to ship and 2. not all cars are the same, they are easy to bend but I would do a dry fit first of the plate with the seal as you may find the plates will need a trim up the wing side as you have replaced the lower wing sections, the side seal will also need a bit of fine trimming at the bottom where the wing lower return is.

Stuart.

Sounds like one more thing I should have done while the body was all in primer.. Good point about the repair seams and I guess the Gravitex is going to play a role too.

Stan

Mine came in primer - shipped flat.

The 1st one I made the bend a bit too sharp, & the paint flaked off at the bend.

2nd one, I carefully bent it over a tube (approx. 1"" dia), which did not crack the paint.

Bob.

Mine came in primer - shipped flat.

The 1st one I made the bend a bit too sharp, & the paint flaked off at the bend.

2nd one, I carefully bent it over a tube (approx. 1"" dia), which did not crack the paint.

Bob.

The transit primer isnt worth leaving on so I always remove it if I get them covered in that, I just keep one panel as a pattern now and make my own.

Stuart.

I was surprised at how beefy the plates are that I got from TRF. I havent measured them but they are heavy and look like they could stop a bullet. Way thicker than the TR6 baffle plates I got years ago which look like 18ga. I'm guessing these TR3 plates are 12 or perhaps 10ga.

Stan