Here's a dumb question....

Do the sump bolts penetrate the sump cavity? Nearly all of mine have oil on them. It's not coming from above, the front oil seal is sound and I was careful with the application of gasket sealer - and I dressed the bolt holes in the sump flat before installing it a couple of years ago. So can oil splash get down the threads?

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Pete,

the screws down the sides open to the outside. I believe the front and back are blind.

It could be wicking through the gasket.

On my 4A engine I noticed those screws were forever covered in oil.

When I took the engine apart I found the hub http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/engine/engines-components/internal-engine-components.html #75 had serious wear from the oil seal.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I've a narrow belt conversion so the hub's fine and there's no leak from the front. Looks like the sump's coming off. I might try one of those gasket making RTV compounds in lieu of a paper gasket.

Front left corner is where mine weeps, and the front centre bolt which is very short (piece 37) http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-mod. Park it facing up hill ;).

I made a few oval washers to spread the load for half a dozen bolts at the front of the sump, also managed to whack out most of the distortion!

No matter what you do oil will still find it's way out of a Triumph....

also managed to whack out most of the distortion!

Pete,

There are more than a few oddballs reasons for sumps leaking,

but it makes sense to start out with the most common and easiest

remedies.

You may not have fully appreciated kob's comment.

The sump flange is prone to distortion from overtightening the

sump bolts.

Remedy is (with the sump off) to hammer flat the area around the

bolt. Heat would help if you have it available. Need to shrink the

bolt holes back to flat.

Improved gasket solutions will help, as does kob's idea of washers

to spread the load, but a standard gasket, sump flange without any

distortion and specified torque for the bolts IS enough to seal against

leakage.

AlanR

Thanks folks. As I said, I did dress the sump flange flat - probably not flat enough. The thing is that almost all the bolts have an oil drip on them and the rest of the sump is dry including around the edges. Off it comes and I'll try a gasket maker to see if that improves things.

Hi Pete,

the area on the gasket around the screw holes is quite narrow. So it wouldn;t take a lot of effort for a leak to appear.

In a pointless efort to stop the same on my engine I took all the screws out and re-fitted them covered in Hylomar.

The spring washer can't be sealed with out a bit of help.

The silicone sealant may do the job better.

Roger

Pete

I've been down this route.The thread for the sump bolts are coarse. I tried PFTE tape ...without success and then tried Heldite jointing compound , all sorts of application ,vehicles , marine , aviation , MOD approved, etc.Worked for me !

Silicone sealant might well do the trick but when the time comes to take the sump off , cleaning off the silicone would be a pain in the whatsit.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

I too used a cork gasket no leaks after 2½ years, & 3500 miles. Got mine from the TR shop, but I have a feeling they may not have them any more ?

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Cheers guys. Revington list them so I'll call tomorrow to check that they really do. Permatex gasket maker gets a good write up around the place so I think I'll try that on it's own as a starter.