Well done Dan, looks like a very good turnout there. Love the patina on your black plates, just as it should be!

Stuart.

• 2 months later...

Well, the Swallow had its fun, but the front suspension was so ropey that it could not wait. So everything came apart, and now the more pleasing part of putting things back together begins! I finally got those super pro bushing onto the upper arms! I can't wait to drive this car with the entire suspension, steering and hydraulic system done.

Suspension%202_zpsonnbnwcj.jpg

Suspension%201_zpsj07txrzb.jpg

Cheers

Dan

Edited by 2long

It's so cold and lonely in here!

Noting some of the differences in the TR2 and Doretti front suspension, I found that the lower rebound bracket is welded to the frame, rather than bolted on. Conversly, the inner mounting pin for the lower suspension arms is a bolt and removable bracket, rather than the TR2 version, which is a fixed pin and bracket welded onto the chassis (that sometimes get bent). The shock mounting hardware at the top is a little different, and the shock tower itself is also different. The lower rebound bracket also lacks the stiffening gussets on the underside, which I noticed because my bracket (on both sides) was bent downward. I was pleased to see the vertical links with the two "ears" at the top, which is a vestige of the Mayflower. That told me the vertical links on the car are original. I hope they are not tweaked, but visually they look fine.

I am using a Revington steering kit that changes the steering geometry just a bit, by lengthening the tie rod and using bespoke steering arms. Interestingly, the longer tie rod creates a potential problem by bringing the tie rod ends very close to the backing plates. This issue is addressed by using the non-greasable tie rod ends that Revington supplies, which have a smaller profile without the nipple. When you get the steering kit from Revington the tie rod ends are not included, and there is not a note saying you should use their non-greasable tie rod ends in conjunction with the kit. I think this would be a good thing to note! I am also using the spring loaded pin for the steering box.

Dan

Edited by 2long

There are more small differences between TR2 and Doretti than most folks realise - Frank Rainbow made the most of the opportunity to evolve some of the detail engineering of the Triumph sports car.

Probably easier to achieve in the Doretti context, smaller production and a higher unit cost offering more flexibility compared to Standard Triumph's production engineering guys doing their best to pare costs to the bone.

Cheers,

Alec